For Our Future Data & Analytics Department Internship
The For Our Future (“FOF”) and For Our Future Action Fund (“FOFAF”) Data & Analytics Department is seeking an enthusiastic intern to help execute a robust, multi-state independent field program for the 2018 cycle.
FOF aims to win elections and regain political power by engaging and mobilizing people and community-based organizations on progressive issues. In 2017, FOFAF continued to engage on community issues with a focus on establishing permanence and economies of scale to be leveraged. Building off of our 2016 campaign in five battleground states, FOF continued its unique and now-proven model to build infrastructure and power for progressive issues and candidates in 2018 and 2020, expanding to new states along the way. The model is to work with and through community-based organizations and local activist networks, with a focus on face-to-face conversations. Our goal is to engage communities in policy fights and turn out voters for progressive issues and champions for Election Day victories.
For Our Future Action Fund (“FOFAF”), a non-profit “social welfare” organization, & For Our Future (“FOF”), a federally registered “independent expenditure” political action committee that incorporates both issue advocacy and electoral programming, respectively. This is a temporary position with an end date of November 30, 2018.
The Data Team works across departments in building a strong infrastructure for data-driven program across 7 key battleground states. In this position, the intern will assist the Data Department in all activities: from acquiring, cleaning, and processing data to building data visualizations representing FOF and FOFAF’s work. The intern will report directly to the National Deputy Data Director.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Assist in data management and cleaning among FOF and FOFAF’s various data systems and tools.
- Presentation/training deck creation in PowerPoint
- Follow and track public polling in key races
- Assist in implementation of state data tools and products
- Acquire and perform quality control of Early Vote and Absentee Data
- Acquire and perform quality control of Polling Place Data
- Promote a strong and inclusive culture and a team that is mission-driven, well-trained and set up for success in states.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as designated by the National Deputy Data Director.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Enthusiasm for Building Progressive Power – A firm understanding of state legislative processes and political landscape, and the path to building power in states. Ability to work and adapt to a changing political and policy landscape.
- Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint Experience – Previous experience and familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint.
- Communication Skills – Strong oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to write compelling program reports, fundraising/marketing documents, and program debrief reports. Demonstrated ability to navigate conflict and work toward resolution required.
- Technical Training – Additional experience with technical data tools like VAN, Excel, SQL or any other coding languages preferred but not required.
- Commitment to the Mission – Dedication to grassroots, local organizing and empowering state/local organizations to lead our work. Understanding of local community-based organizations and respect for their leaders and programs.
- Solutions-oriented approach – a willingness to take initiative, while juggling several priorities that may change quickly. Multi-tasker with excellent time management skills and ability to hit deadlines.
- Incumbent will perform work in an open-office environment as well as work and manage projects from Washington, D.C.
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
- Normal business hours are Monday thru Friday from 9a-6pm, however you may be required to work outside of normal business hours, including weekends and/or holidays. This job will require longer hours closer to Election Day.
The Data Department Internship will be based in Washington, D.C. Position is cycle-based, part time and pays $15/hr.
Applicants should submit their cover letter, resume, and three references to: https://boards.greenhouse.io/forourfuture/jobs/1276878
For Our Future Action Fund is an equal opportunity employer. This application will not be used for limiting or excluding any applicant from consideration for employment on a basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law, including race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, creed, national origin, disability, ancestry, military service, or veteran status. Should an applicant need reasonable accommodation in the application process, the applicant should contact a company representative.
The relationship between you and the For Our Future Action Fund is referred to as “employment at will.” This means that your employment can be terminated at any time for any reason, with or without cause, with or without notice, by you or the For Our Future Action Fund/For Our Future. No representative of For Our Future Action Fund has authority to enter into any employment agreement with you that is contrary to the foregoing “employment at will” relationship. By signing below, you hereby affirm your that your employment is “at will”, and that you acknowledge that no oral or written statements or representations regarding your employment can alter your “at will” status, except for a written statement signed by you and our Chief Executive Officer or duly authorized representative as determined by a resolution of the Board of Directors of For Our Future Action Fund.