Pennsylvania Regional Communications Director at For Our Future & For Our Future Action Fund, Pittsburgh, PA
Progressive 501c(4) and Super PAC seeks a Pennsylvania Regional Communications Director. This position reports to the Communications Director.
For Our Future does things DIFFERENTLY. We are committed to helping community partners build their own communications capacity and to seek new and innovative ways to use social media to cultivate community-based progressive voices, arm them with compelling content, and train them to be effective communicators.
For Pennsylvania’s Future is a project of For Our Future Action Fund (“FOFAF”), a non-profit social welfare organization, & For Our Future (“FOF”), a federally registered independent expenditure political action committee that incorporates both issue advocacy and electoral programming, respectively.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Develop and meet deadlines for press releases, media advisories, memos, talking points, op-eds, and social media content.
• Pitching earned media events targeted at local media outlets;
• Blog writing, conducting Q&As with staff and local partners and helping to generate other owned content for FPF’s website;
• Identifying new communications avenues, messengers and creating compelling content issues with a decidedly local bend;
• Seek, build, and maintain relationships with key Pittsburgh-area reporters and influencers outside of labor reporters.
• Develop relationships with hyperlocal press outlets and reporters, including radio;
• Constantly monitoring local happenings in the Southwestern PA region for story ideas;
• Working with the Communications Director to ensure all assets in Pittsburgh are in step with FPF’s and FOF’s mission.
• Read weekly reports from field staff toad to the story bank and look for opportunities to pitch letters to the editor and op-eds;
• Proactively seeking out news opportunities and creative placement strategies as part of short- and long-term planning;
• Monitoring social media and new local digital channels from across the political and non-political spectrum;
• Create and manage a combined communications calendar with other progressive groups for an amplified events schedule.
• Implementing earned media plans, building media events, and garnering significant press coverage;
• Increasing the social media reach of FPF and progressive partners to push our message directly to targeted voters.
• Maintaining and updating social media channels with original content daily, including some graphics;
• Continuously assessing social media landscape and identifying key messengers across all social platforms;
• Creating weekly communications recap reports.
Qualifications: (In no particular order)
• Experience with successfully pitching and placing print and digital stories;
• Experience in media relations with a preference for political and campaign communications experience;
• Access to a vehicle and ability to travel to the surrounding counties for media events;
• A passion for progressive causes and advocating and communicating authentic stories about Pennsylvanians;
• Strong familiarity with the Southwestern PA media landscape;
• Creativity in message delivery and plan design;
• Experience with social media account management;
• Ability to juggle several priorities that may change quickly;
• Ability to set objectives and track progress toward achieving objectives;
• Ability to make sound professional judgments in high-pressure situations.
• Experience working on projects in a fast-paced environment;
• Strong verbal communications and interpersonal skills;
• Positive attitude when managing stressful situations.
• Agility, flexibility, time management, and attention to detail is necessary to be successful in this role.
• Ability to work both independently and as a team member in a busy office will be key to success.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
For Our Future offers the following benefits to all full-time employees:
• Health Insurance Coverage - 95% Employer Paid and 5% Employee
• Retirement Savings Plan with matching contributions up to the first 5%
• $100 Monthly Cell Phone Bill Reimbursement
• 10 Days Paid Time Off granted at the start of every new calendar year, as well as all paid federal holidays
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and a digital content example below.