For Our Future and For Our Future Action Fund in Virginia is hiring a Virginia Deputy Organizing Director to assist in the day-to-day management of our field organizing staff. As the Deputy Organizing Director, you will spend an equal amount of time planning, preparing and implementing trainings, as well as providing support to the Organizing staff in consultation with the Virginia Organizing Director. The Deputy Organizing Director will report directly to the Virginia Organizing Director.
This role will help to drive For Our Future’s program to develop local leaders, provide organizational management support, and share best practices for high-quality, data-driven field and communications programs. In doing this, the Deputy Organizing Director will provide trainings for: 1) community-based organizations; 2) local activists and leaders; 3) communicators & influencers; and 4) For Our Future staff. We are excited about this position and are seeking someone with a training-background who will be a thought partner and trusted advisor to the Virginia Organizing Director in directing a robust statewide training and accountability program. Ensuring success of our programmatic goals starts with training and is achieved through accountability.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist Organizing Director with monitoring performance of program in regions as it relates to progress to goals and accountability and providing support as necessary.
- Work directly with state leadership and partner organizations to implement field and digital communications strategies across the state
- Building crucial relationships with leaders of the progressive community
- Design and execute a multi-pronged leadership development program focused on emerging grassroots activists, FOF programs, and partner programs in creating tiered modes of engagement for local leaders.
- Build and maintain a clearinghouse of training materials for staff and partners, covering subjects ranging from building and maintaining political relationships and coalitions to delivering an effective persuasion message at the doors.
- Facilitate learning across regions and partner programs in conjunction with the Organizing Director and the Political Partnerships Director.
- Directly organize and facilitate trainings as necessary, which requires frequent travel across the Commonwealth.
- Apply training best practices and assessments to ensure trainings are professionally and experientially designed.
- When called upon, assist the Organizing Director and Regional Directors in the management of organizers and canvassers.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Enthusiasm for Building Progressive Power - Understanding of the general progressive landscape at the local, state, and national level preferred. Demonstrated ability to turn activists into leaders through training in a local or statewide setting preferred.
- Training Skills - Experience developing trainings to varying audiences, writing assessments and evaluating programs in traditional and non-traditional training settings required. Experience managing the logistics involved in a training program, including budget to recruitment of trainees to managing trainers involved in execution. Experience training others to be trainers is preferred. Examples of past training materials & curriculum may be requested.
- Organizer at Heart - Inclination to lead via organizing rather than by decree. Talented in coalition and team building.
- Program Management - Experience executing statewide issue advocacy campaigns and working within or managing issue coalitions preferred. A willingness to take initiative while juggling several priorities that may change required. Previous staff management experience a plus.
- Communication Skills - Ability to write compelling training materials, program reports, fundraising/marketing documents, and program debrief reports with examples. Demonstrated ability in building relationships and maintaining communication with key stakeholders a plus.
- A Winning Mentality - A positive attitude with a sense of humor strongly preferred. A commitment to FOF’s core issues and desire to build intersectional progressive power required.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. FOF offers a competitive salary and benefits package consistent with experience and expertise.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit their cover letter, resume, and three references to this site.