Progressive 501c(4) and Super PAC seeks a Virginia Communications Director to develop and implement aggressive communications strategy with state and local media, including Spanish-language press. This incumbent will provide strategic guidance as well as plan and support the implementation of traditional and digital communications campaigns in the Commonwealth.
For Our Future does things DIFFERENTLY. We are committed to helping community partners build their own communications capacity and to seek new and innovative ways to use social media to cultivate community-based progressive voices, arm them with compelling content, and train them to be effective communicators.
For Our Future is a project of For Our Future Action Fund (“FOFAF”), a non-profit social welfare organization, & For Our Future (“FOF”), a federally registered independent expenditure political action committee that incorporates both issue advocacy and electoral programming, respectively.
Responsibilities: A Mix of Traditional Communications and Digital Work
- Working with the State Director to ensure that communications materials, communicators, and assets are in step with overall strategic plan and goals;
- Proactively seeking out news opportunities and creative placement strategies as part of short- and long-term planning;
- Continuously assessing the communications reach of For Our Future, as well as For Our Future’s partners towards the goal of building greater message delivery capacity at the granular level;
- Monitoring social media and new local digital channels from across the political and non-political spectrum and providing guidance to communications team on how to rapidly address or respond to attacks on progressives as they develop online or traditional media;
- Working with a team in Washington D.C. to identify local stories that can or should be nationalized;
- Helping progressive organizations across Virginia to create a combined, coordinated, and effective communications calendar so that For Our Future and other partners can amplify progressive events in the state;
- Overseeing the creation of press releases, media advisories, memos, talking points, op-eds, social media and web content, and other materials as needed under tight deadlines;
- Assisting in the development and implementation of earned media plans, building media events, and garnering significant press coverage;
- Completely integrating traditional and digital communications into the same strategy and plan;
- Using new tools and tactics to increase the social media reach of For Our Future and progressive partners social to push our message directly to the people we are trying to reach;
- Continuously assessing social media landscape and identifying key messengers across all social platforms;
- Working with partners in ad/email acquisition, digital ad buys to expand message reach, and assisting with digital needs for community events;
- Maintaining and updating social media channels with original content daily, including some graphics;
- Implement aggressive, long- and short-term digital communications strategies in state;
- Identifying new digital communications avenues and creating compelling digital content with a decidedly local bend;
- Increasing the social media reach of For Our Future and progressive partners to push our message directly to the people we are trying to reach;
- Maintaining and updating social media channels with original content daily, including some graphics.
Qualifications: (In no particular order)
- Creativity in message delivery and plan design, ability to look at communications challenges differently, and respond with innovative solutions;
- A passion for progressive causes and advocating and communicating authentic stories about Virginians;
- Experience with digital content development and social media account management;
- Demonstrated experience with successfully placing print and digital stories, op-eds and ensuring appropriate messages are placed in proactive and reactive stories;
- Experience in media relations with a strong preference for political and campaign communications experience;
- Solutions-oriented approach, with a willingness to take initiative, while juggling several priorities that may change quickly;
- Ability to develop long-term plans, set objectives, and track progress toward achieving objectives;
- Exercise good judgment in high-pressure situations. Flexibility and a willingness to take on new tasks as the responsibilities of the position evolve;
- Experience working on projects in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong verbal communications and interpersonal skills;
- Maintaining enthusiasm and calm demeanor in stressful situations;
- The person filling this position must be nimble, committed to teamwork, have an exceptional ability to stay organized and to manage their time effectively, and possess a keen attention to detail;
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member in a busy office with personal enthusiasm, optimism, and a sense of humor.
- Be prepared to split their time between Northern Virginia, Richmond and travel extensively throughout the state.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
For Our Future offers the following benefits to all full-time employees:
- Health Insurance Coverage - 95% Employer Paid and 5% Employee
- Retirement Savings Plan with matching contributions up to the first 5%
- $100 Monthly Cellphone Bill Reimbursement
- 10 Days Paid Time Off granted at the start of every new calendar year, as well as all paid federal holiday
Applicants should submit their cover letter, resume, three employer references and a sample press release and digital content example to: https://boards.greenhouse.io/forourfuture/jobs/1036879