This is a remote-friendly role for any location in Ontario or British Columbia
The objective of the OSS Engineering Manager is to provide technical expertise, project management, and program leadership for Formidable's open source initiatives. They do this by supporting Formidable engineers working on open source and coordinating with business stakeholders to leverage Formidable's open source portfolio externally. This role supports our engineers in solidifying our presence in the communities we participate in and their awareness of Formidable on the whole.
This role reports directly to the CTO and is non-billable.
- Experience managing the development lifecycle of complex open source software projects with multiple contributors
- Experience leading teams
- Technical project management experience (e.g., as a lead engineer)
- Experience with React and the surrounding Open Source ecosystem
- Experience with Node.js and the surrounding Open Source ecosystem
The OSS Engineering Manager is the primary project manager for all of Formidable's open source projects.
- Assess and prioritize work across all Formidable open source projects, e.g., identify critical work on flagship projects, determine changes in maintenance status, recommend external projects to bring under the Formidable organization, manage project staffing.
- Support open source maintainers with guidance, hours allocations, periodic check-ins, etc.
- Identify and lead cross-project initiatives (e.g., documentation websites, maintenance status, best practices, codes of conduct).
- In conjunction with the CTO and technical leadership, help define Formidable's open source strategy, directions, and new research endeavors.
- Provide and facilitate technical expertise for Formidable's open source to the community, either directly and/or by engaging relevant experts at Formidable.
- Contribute to Formidable OSS projects including code, documentation, and project roadmap to ensure projects are healthy and have a prioritized backlog work for ICs on the bench.
- Serve as the Engineering Manager for ICs on the bench, conduct 1:1s, and provide feedback so their OSS work can be factored into their overall performance and reviews.
Directs and supports internal open source programs at Formidable. Current programs include:
- Open Source Fellowship: Periodic awards of time to engineers to pursue new open source and engineering ideas.
- The Sauce Program: Bonus program to support contributions to any open source project, technology volunteering, etc. A brief introduction to the program is available at https://formidable.com/blog/2019/sauce-program/.
- Base salary range for this position is C$168,000 - C$183,000 and is based upon years of experience that is commensurate with the level of the position.
- We employ a simple and fair salary system that pays everyone the same salary for the same work. This Open Pay system is competitive in a fast-growing market and provides transparency to what is typically an opaque and unbalanced negotiation.
What We Offer Our Employees
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision
- 16 days of PTO annually in addition to 10 statutory holidays
- Unlimited sick time
- Flexible work schedules
- A Home Office Stipend so you can buy a desk, monitor, and more
- A MacBook Pro, or equivalent Windows or Linux laptop
- Annual Health & Wellness bonus
- An encouraging and collaborative culture
- ...and much more to support your life, both at work and outside of work!
We make sure our employees get opportunities to grow within Formidable and participate in daily decision-making processes. Our engineers are leaders in the community and frequently speak at key conferences. Working with other Formidables, you are guaranteed to continually cultivate your skillset by staying atop of industry trends and tools.
Life at Formidable
We are proud of the culture we have built and truly believe that work should be a place where you come to grow, be challenged, build relationships and have fun. When people from varied backgrounds and experiences come together, the greatest outcomes are the result. We believe people are at their best when they have what they need, so we made Formidable a place where all can feel welcomed, supported, and heard.
At Formidable we value
Inclusion: Come as you are. You are safe here.
Autonomy: We trust you to make good decisions and get your work done.
Craft: Level up. We're always working to improve ourselves through practice, peer review, teamwork, and communication