Formidable is an engineering + design consultancy and open source software organization with offices in Seattle, London, Denver, Phoenix, and a growing presence in Canada and the EU. Formidable’s Global Director of Operations needs to be someone capable of working in a highly collaborative manner across all business teams. We’re not far enough from our start-up days to have truly siloed departments which means that leaders from across the business are involved in everything. You’ll need to be up for the challenge of a quickly growing organization and initiatives that can change quickly. You’ll help us to level up the operations side of the house, bring order to our Google Drive, and help steer us in the direction of process and organization.
- Recruits, interviews, hires and trains staff in the department.
- Manages Operations Staff
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Handles discipline and termination of department employees in accordance with company policy.
Duties/Responsibilities (may be delegated within the Operations team)
- Office & Physical or Remote Spaces
- Responsible for all Formidable facilities worldwide
- Optimize scale and configuration of physical office spaces
- Maintain & operate physical space
- Optimize the UX for our people of our remote/physical office hybrid approach
- Implements and coordinates new office launches and changes
- Establishes, implements, and communicates the strategic direction of the organization's operations division.
- Responsible (with collaboration from Finance and HR) for registering Formidable with all appropriate governmental (state, provincial, federal) agencies and maintaining those registrations
- Coordinates the procurement and manages all aspects of the business’s fixed assets (Computers, Technology, Furniture, etc,)
- Rationalize, maintain, and advise on the internal IT configuration and security of the company
- Shepherd legal agreement execution, resolution, and storage with support from fractional GC
- Organize, file, give appropriate access to and maintain security of company documentation
- Maintain all company agreements in a structured, secure manner
- Rationalize, organize company information
- Procure and maintain E&O, Liability, and other business Insurance for all global entities
- Vendor management
- Work with various internal “customers” (Engineering, Design, PM, Marketing, Finance, HR, Leadership), to optimize and manage outside services
- Optimize and manage subscriptions, internal software, systems
- Identifies, recommends, and implements new processes, technologies, and systems to improve and streamline organizational processes and use of resources and materials.
- In collaboration with Finance, establishes and administers the department's budget.
- Presents periodic performance reports and metrics to the chief executive officer and other leadership.
- Maintains knowledge of emerging technologies and trends in operations management.
- 7+ years experience in operational planning and management roles
- Experience working with contracts and legal language preferred
- Experience working at multiple levels in a technical organization preferred
- Experience in financial forecasting and budget management
- Excellent communication skills - both written and verbal
- Highly organized, strong attention to detail, big picture thinker
- Comfortable with ambiguity but able to clearly communicate ideas/plans for changes and/or new initiatives and then drive them forward
- Capable of working with cross-functional teams from Individual Contributors to Executives
- Experience and fluency with the Google Suite of tools (email, calendar, docs, etc.)
- Occasional travel will be expected
- Excellent Slack emoji game
Education and Experience
- College degree preferred with a particular desire for Business management/administration, Logistics, Master of Jurisprudence, or other industry-related field required
- At least 7 years of industry-related experience including 3 years in upper management required.
What We Offer Our Employees
- 5 weeks of PTO annually (Inclusive of Holidays) and unlimited sick time
- Flexible work schedules
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision
- A Home Office Stipend so you can buy a desk, monitor, and more
- A MacBook Pro, or equivalent Windows or Linux laptop
- Annual Health & Wellness bonus
- An encouraging and collaborative culture
- ...and much more to support your life, both at work and outside of work!
Life at Formidable
We are proud of the culture we have built and truly believe that work should be a place where you come to grow, be challenged, build relationships and have fun. When people from varied backgrounds and experiences come together, the greatest outcomes are the result. We believe people are at their best when they have what they need, so we made Formidable a place where all can feel welcomed, supported, and heard.
At Formidable we value
Inclusion: Come as you are. You are safe here.
Autonomy: We trust you to make good decisions and get your work done.
Craft: Level up. We're always working to improve ourselves through practice, peer review, teamwork, and communication