As a Formidable Engineering Manager, you will be part of the service delivery organization and report to the Director of Engineering. You will be part of the core team responsible for the wellbeing and career growth of engineers within your organization group.
Formidable Engineering managers spend approximately 80% of their time on billable projects with our clients - writing code, assisting team members, and occasionally leading project teams. The other 20% of your time will be spent working with engineers who report to you on their career goals, holding 1:1s and reviews, and advocating for your reports within the larger Formidable organization.
What you will be responsible for:
- You will spend about 80% of your time working as a contributor on billable client projects, occasionally as team lead.
- Your time will be split between technical/billable work and management duties, so time management and strong communication skills are a must.
- You will manage 4-6 engineers, focusing on activities such as:
- Holding regular 1:1s
- Conducting quarterly and semi-annual reviews
- Helping reports set and achieve career goals at Formidable
- Delivering both praise and constructive feedback to your reports, and helping them recognize patterns and potential areas for growth. You will likely have reports who are not on the same client project as you, so actively soliciting this feedback from their team members is crucial.
- You will serve as an advocate for your reports within the larger Formidable organization - recommending them for promotions, suggesting projects where they may be a good fit, providing public recognition for accomplishments, etc.
- You will work with your Director of Engineering to ensure that engineers feel included and supported within the larger Formidable organization, understand what is expected of them, and have room and opportunities for autonomy and building their craft.
- You will support the engineering hiring process as an interviewer, and assist with the hiring or promotion process for new Engineering Managers as need arises.
- You will assist with the onboarding process for new engineers who will report to you.
A successful candidate will have:
- 4+ years of experience as a professional software developer.
- 1-2+ years of people management or team leadership experience.
- Extensive domain knowledge and experience working with React core APIs to build large-scale web applications.
- Experience with team collaboration using tools such as Git.
- Strong communication skills, including being able to communicate effectively with non-engineering stakeholders within Formidable and on our client teams.
- Experience conducting thoughtful and constructive PR reviews for team members.
- Experience with state management using React Context or libraries such as Redux/MobX.
- Modern frontend build tooling (Webpack/Parcel, Babel, NPM/Yarn).
- Proficiency in frontend markup and styling (CSS in JS libraries, CSS preprocessors and CSS3, JSX and frontend templating, HTML5)
- Experience with GraphQL and/or TypeScript.
- Node.js frameworks like Express.
- Databases like MongoDB and PostgreSQL.
- Experience with React Native, or native mobile development.
What We Offer Our Employees
- 5 weeks of PTO annually (Including Holidays) and unlimited sick time
- Flexible work schedules
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision
- A Home Office Stipend so you can buy a desk, monitor, and more
- A MacBook Pro, or equivalent Windows or Linux laptop
- Annual Health & Wellness bonus
- An encouraging and collaborative culture
- ...and much more to support your life, both at work and outside of work!
Simple and Fair Salaries
We employ a simple and fair salary system that pays everyone the same salary for the same work. This Open Pay system is competitive in a fast-growing market and provides transparency to what is typically an opaque and unbalanced negotiation.