Are you an experienced visual communication designer who is motivated to affect problems faced by fellow creators? Are you inspired by inventive communication and visual precision? Do you enjoy being part of a team that shares your passion for art and design equally with a passion to drive results? Do you define a “good day” as one where you’ve shipped out something great and know that it’s going to make an impact? If so, read on!
Format is looking for a passionate, Visual Communication Designer to join our mission to further entrench Format as the world’s leading online portfolio builder and platform for visual artists. Part design rebel and part design principles champion, as our Visual Designer you’ll report to our Creative Lead. From our website and landing pages to display ads and beautiful content pieces, you’ll produce design solutions from concept to execution that aligns with our brand and inspires action from our audience. You’ll collaborate with stakeholders to develop big picture strategy, work on key initiatives with our direct and content marketers and partner closely with developers to produce final assets and design guidance.
Desired skills and experience:
As our Visual Communication Designer you’ll need to be adept in multiple design practices and have a minimum of 3 years of demonstrated expertise in:
- Interactive & Website Design: You are editorially-minded and have demonstrated the ability to balance strong brand design with direct response elements that, together, deliver websites and landing pages that engage.
- Display Advertising: You know how to produce design assets for key social and advertising platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the Google Display network in service of a larger visually cohesive and unified communication program.
- Content Design: From infographics to emails to guides and collections you’ve demonstrated the knack to showcase content in a beautiful and readable form.
- Design Passion and Curiosity: Your understanding and intentionality for design and typography show in your executions. You’re as much a student of design as you are a fan and, of course, are super comfortable with the Adobe Suite, Sketch and Invision.
What we’d like to see in our ideal candidate:
- You are inventive and resourceful and can turn your ideas quickly into implementations. We move fast, but we are smart about it.
- You are curious by nature and are continually seeking the new insights, design patterns and concepts that resonate best with customers/your audience.
- You are super organized but equally focused on getting things done.
- You believe in collaboration and enjoy adding value and getting value by engaging with others.
- You’re probably your own toughest critic and have an internal drive to produce design solutions that work and helps the entire team succeed.
- You are absolutely passionate about the creative and visual artist community.
Launched in 2008 in Liberty Village in Toronto, Format.com has quietly become the leading online portfolio builder for professional visual artists around the world to exhibit, market and sell their work. With 45+ team members, tens of thousands of customers in over 190 countries, and voted the #1 online portfolio by photographers, designers and artists, we’ve come a long way, but have really only just begun.
Some of the benefits of working here include:
- We have an amazing team that will be eager to help you succeed in your role. Learn more about us: http://wayswework.io/features/format
- We pay competitive salaries and have flexible vacation and work-from-home policies
- We provide great benefits: extended health, dental, life, and disability
- We frequently celebrate hitting milestones after work (or in the middle of the day if it’s sunny)
- We're proudly self-funded. We answer to our community and no one else!
- In-office perks: a desk equipped with an Aeron chair and top-notch Apple gear (take a peek here), curating what music gets played over our office speakers, yummy catered lunches on Mondays and Fridays, and drinking as much espresso as you need.
This is a full-time position based in Toronto, ON.
To apply, please fill out the questionnaire below.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No recruiters, please.
Format is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a work environment that is both diverse and inclusive. You will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, creed, disability, or age.
Did you know that we have an External Referral Bonus Program? If you know someone who’d be great for this position, then let us know. You could be eligible for our $1,000 CAD referral bonus See details here.