Principal Software Engineer
Cloud Solutions | US - Austin Office
About the company:
ForgeRock® rocks when others are rolling. We aren’t your typical high-tech company and aren’t looking for typical people. We look for real people. Whoever you are. Whatever you are. While you play well with others you aren’t afraid to be you and let others be themselves. Someone has called you wicked smart before, but you would never refer to yourself that way.
ForgeRock pioneered open source identity and access management, went on to invent identity relationship management for customer identities, and is now busy playing with the identity of things. Yes, we’re growing fast, but we remain true to our start up culture. We’re decidedly creative, we’re always learning, no one hesitates to ask questions, and we’re on a never-ending search for new ideas.
Our customers are some of the biggest companies, organizations, and even countries in the world. On any given day, it’s likely that the ForgeRock Identity Platform helped keep your data safe, gave you access to stuff, and supported trusted relationships between you, companies and the devices you were using. Please read more about us at forgerock.com or follow ForgeRock on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/forgerock.
Do you enjoy doing a little bit of everything in your day to day job? Have you sat in meetings with C-level folks in the morning and UI developers in the afternoon? Have you bounced from HTML/JS/CSS code one week and into Golang code the next? Have you done something a few times and become tired of doing it, so you wrote a script for it? We are looking for someone who understands the challenges of balancing technology choices with customer expectations and business needs. Someone who knows there is no such thing as a perfect solution. Someone who is always keeping an eye on the here and now, as well as what might come in the future, and making the proper choices and trade-offs as needed.
- Think in microservices and APIs - develop and expand our ecosystem of composable, reusable, isolated, single purpose services
- Create highly testable and rock-solid service implementations
- Participate in development life cycle activities like design, coding, testing and production release.
- Deliver code in an agile team environment.
- Perform code reviews with peers and help elevate to the highest standards
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development.
- Extensive Agile experience and knowledge required
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Make important engineering decisions that balance numerous non-engineering factors with technical considerations
- Continuously measure and optimize the performance, effectiveness, and uptime of backend services -- participate in a data driven culture
- Research, prototype, and implement solutions to thorny big data and scale problems using the best available tools
- Thrive in a rapidly changing environment, continuously working to adapt to ever evolving customer needs
- Scale systems sustainably leveraging automation and evolve systems by driving changes that improve availability and velocity.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless retrospectives.
- Pair with other engineers to deliver world-class solutions.
- Create and maintain system architecture, design, and automation.
- Participate in an on-call rotation and remain cool and calm under duress
- Ability to not just say No, but also provide options to meet the business goals
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience with the latest cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Domain expertise in IAM (Identity and Access Management)
- Real production-based knowledge of DevOps with containers, using Docker and Kubernetes, ideally on GKE
- Experience troubleshooting or debugging issues across the whole stack
- Sense of urgency
- Passionate about delighting customers and learning new skills
- Data-driven decision making
- Strong communication skills
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Ability to self-motivate, self-manage and handle conflict
- Team player
- Ability to plan for the future in order to avoid/eliminate issues
- Entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to change the world for the better through visionary efforts
- Ability to define visionary deliverables and enlist support from peers and industry to make it so
- Ability to defuse conflict and resolve the root issue(s)
- Expert-level skills in these domains: network, security, coding, infrastructure
- Ability to quickly distill complex problem space down actionable items
- Experience with agile based iterative development and knowledge of software engineering best practices
Life at ForgeRock:
We believe in and facilitate a flexible, collaborative work environment. We’ve grown enormously, but remain true to the innovative, can-do startup values that got us here. Most important of all, we keep hiring talented, smart, fun, and genuinely nice people because that’s who we want to succeed with every day. Below are just a few of the great things we have to offer at ForgeRock:
- A great team of smart, fun and genuinely nice individuals.
- Awesome company culture focused around providing a flexible and collaborative work environment
- Regular office bonding events, from lunches and happy hours to group offsites and hack-days
- Well-stocked fridges, whether you’re hungry or thirsty
- Competitive benefits and perks
- We’re Mac-friendly!
- Generous employee referral bonus program
- Amazing offices across the globe – San Francisco HQ; Vancouver, WA; Austin, TX; Munich, Germany; London & Bristol, UK; Grenoble & Paris, FR; Oslo, NO; Singapore, Australia & counting!
ForgeRock is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.