At Forge, we know our team is our greatest asset. As innovators in the private market, our vision is to deliver a richer future for everyone. We live that vision through our values of being bold, humble and accountable. We experience the value that our vision brings to the world every day, helping the teams behind the greatest innovations of our generation, from space travel to planet-saving, plant-based nutrition and more.
With liquidity solutions, exclusive data and insights and a vibrant marketplace, Forge’s goal is to power a global private market that is transparent, accessible and seamless for companies, their employees and investors. Through Forge, employees can sell their private shares, employers can reward shareholders with pre-IPO liquidity and individual and institutional investors can participate in private unicorn growth.
Forge's differentiated global marketplace addresses rising demand among individual and institutional investors for exposure to private company stocks and it is building a growing network effect with defensible competitive advantages. The Forge marketplace has nearly 400,000 registered users, including over 123,000 accredited investors. Private shares have traded in more than 400 companies since inception, representing over $10 billion in volume across 19,000 transactions with buyers and sellers in 70 countries. Through its custody offering Forge Trust, the company has approximately $14 billion in assets under custody and about $600 million of cash across 1.9 million customers.
Needless to say, our ability to offer these powerful financial solutions has generated incredible interest from investors, demand from customers, and a need to grow our team to meet the needs of more companies, teams and innovators in this way.
As our market has grown, Forge has recognized a need for comprehensive private market data and intelligence. Our customers need information regarding where private market trades are happening, information about the companies trading, price discovery, and other insights which enable good investment decisions. Forge is in a unique position to offer this to our clients. With over 10 years of secondary private market data, we can offer our clients unique information and insights.
To this end, Forge recently launched our, first of its kind, private market data product Forge Intelligence. We are looking for an engineering leader, knowledgeable in the financial services data space, to help us leverage our existing data sets and integrate them with other data in the industry.
We are seeking a VP of Engineering who can fully unlock the power of our secondary market data by leading a team of engineers to build APIs, integrations with 3rd parties, AI/ML solutions, and a client facing web app.
The role’s initial projects will entail working closely with the business and product leaders for Forge Data Intelligence to expand our web app capabilities, build APIs, and integrate with 3rd party providers.
The ideal candidate will bring significant experience hiring and managing software engineers, designing API and system architectures, solving financial services problems, and producing customer facing data analytics products in the FinServ space.
- Recruit, onboard, and manage a team of engineers
- Work with business & product leaders to identify data sources which can be leveraged to enrich Forge’s existing data set
- Work with technical leaders (the CTO and architects) to evolve the architecture
- Lead engineering thinking around providing data products in the private market
- Work with the business and product leaders to plan out the 1 to 3 year roadmaps
- Adopt the existing agile process, and evolve the process with other Engineering and Product leaders
- Adopt the existing engineering principles and practices, and evolve those practices with Engineering leaders
- Although not strictly a coding position, some coding will likely be required in the first year
- Maintain a deep involvement in critical technical decisions, have a vision for the future which aligns with the overall tech org
- Integrate third party data sources as we add channels, data partners and other vendors
- Work closely with Product and Engineering to ensure product changes integrate well with the existing system
- Expert level understanding of either Java, .NET, Ruby, or Python
- At least 5 years of experience managing engineering teams > 10 people
- At least 15 years of experience as an engineer
- At least 5 years of experience at a fintech startup or finserv company
- Experience designing and building data APIs or data solutions
- Intermediate or above understanding of application architecture
- Several years of experience using public cloud platforms AWS or Heroku
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the desire to build strong partnerships with executive management while embodying our core values by being bold, humble, and accountable
- The ability to function equally well as both a leader and an individual contributor
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical discipline such as Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance, or Computer Science
- Advanced expertise in building data solutions in public equities, commodities, derivatives, or private markets
- Languages: Ruby on Rails, Typescript, SQL
- Frameworks: AWS SQS, AWS Lambdas, Serverless stack, Node, React
- Experience with Miro, Git, confluence, Circle CI, and JIRA
- Familiarity with multiple web and data pipeline frameworks
- Experience integrating with API providers
- Eagerness to learn, personal curiosity and interest in the Private Equity/Venture Capital ecosystem and associated secondary market
Forge is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.