Bioinformatics engineer, Foresite Labs
About Foresite Labs
Foresite Labs supports the next generation of healthcare entrepreneurs who will create innovative companies that transform the way that we discover and develop new medicines, and the way that we deliver care to patients in need. Foresite Labs systematically uses the tools of data science to create companies in healthcare that connect true changes in patient outcomes to all of the activities that are needed to develop, design and deploy therapeutics. We are committed to lowering the barriers of entry for entrepreneurs to advance innovative new therapies and technologies to improve patient care. For more information about Foresite Labs, please visit www.foresitelabs.com.
We are a translational R&D team that derives insights from precision measurement and population-scale biology to address unmet clinical needs. Our goal is to create the preeminent portfolio of companies at the interface of data science and healthcare.
The Labs Platform Team develops methods and infrastructure to solve key scientific and clinical problems. We combine deep biological knowledge with rigorous statistical tools and modern engineering practices to develop and critically evaluate therapeutic and interventional hypotheses. We use novel statistical and machine learning methods to produce reliable insights about causal factors in disease at an unprecedented scale. This work forms the core around which new ideas are de-risked and incubated. We work with diverse data types, ranging from human genetics to high-content imaging and clinical records, to build the platform powering a diverse set of companies.
We are looking for bioinformatics engineers with experience in collaborative research, analysis of large-scale datasets, and rigorous pipeline development. We offer a flexible work environment, a diverse set of projects, and a best-in-class peer group to learn from. This is a great opportunity to tackle a unique set of problems while shaping the future of healthcare.
- Create efficient pipelines for the analysis of genetic, functional genomic, proteomic, and other molecular data types.
- Evaluate and extend computational tools, including assessment and improvement of computational efficiency and scientific performance.
- Collaborate with scientists and software engineers to execute complex analyses, including integration of internally and externally developed tools.
- Work with engineers and scientists to manage inputs, intermediates, and results of complex pipelines, providing clear provenance and reproducibility for critical decisions.
- MS or PhD in bioinformatics, bioengineering, computer science, or equivalent.
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience post-PhD or MS. Prior pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry experience is valued but not required.
- Experience establishing efficient, reproducible pipelines for the analysis of genetic, transcriptomic, proteomic, metabolomic, or similar data from high-throughput assays strongly preferred.
- Experience with variant calling, annotation, and genotype-phenotype association analysis systems preferred.
- Familiarity with cloud systems (e.g., AWS) and related data architectures.
- Ability to write high-quality code both independently and as part of a team. Experience with software development in industry and/or distributed computing strongly preferred.
- Experience with at least one scripting language (e.g., Python) and at least one database language (e.g., SQL) required. Experience with workflow systems (e.g., NextFlow, Cromwell, Airflow, Luigi) and/or statistical languages (e.g., R), valued but not essential.
Foresite Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We thrive on diversity and collaboration.