Forbes believes in the power of entrepreneurial capitalism and uses it on various platforms to ignite the conversations that drive systemic change in business, culture and society. We celebrate success and are committed to using our megaphone to drive diversity, equity and inclusion.
Forbes is looking for an enthusiastic and passionate Manager of Engineering to join our Engineering group.
In addition to joining a high performing team, you would be joining a passionate and engaged culture that celebrates:
- Entrepreneurship: Freedom to innovate, identify new opportunities and take on responsibilities
- Career Development: Formal mentorship program, industry conference attendance and speaking opportunities
- Work/Life Balance: Flexible work schedule, regular group outings (innings?), the celebration of passion projects and side hustles, an understanding that you are human and the complexities that come with that
- Positivity: Emphasis on positive communication, growing everyone and team building
If you're looking for challenges and opportunities similar to those of a startup, with the benefits of a seasoned, successful company, read on.
- Recruit, interview, and hire team members for Lists: a new engineering team you’ll manage within Forbes whose goal is to modernize the current Lists tool
- Coordinate with multiple engineers and teams to familiarize yourself with the current state of Lists
- Define the technical, design and workflow requirements, as well as the projects’ Product Owner, by working closely with engineers and teams within Forbes
- Create and maintain documentation for the Lists team and projects
- Coordinate and direct projects, guide cross team communication, mentorship, and feature development
- Act as a hands-on engineer and architect supporting Forbes Engineering practices
- Promote, champion and mentor in support of the success of your reports and your team
- Develop and uphold good coding practices
- Contribute to architectural conversations and decisions
- Ability to lead multiple technical initiatives
- Ability to lead a distributed team
- Help direct reports set goals and achieve them
- Champion Engineering Excellence
- Investigate and contribute to platform level decisions
- Knowledge of comp sci fundamentals is a plus
- Knowledge/familiarity with Relational & Graph DB’s, Server-side Apps, Legacy Systems, and large-scale system migrations
- Champion process optimization, scalability and reliability, and innovation
- Contribute to improvements and standardization of process
- Assess the feasibility of projects
- Introduce standardized processes
- Make detailed plans to accomplish goals
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills for both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to create and adapt to workflows to efficiently produce measurable results
- Strong organizational skills
- Split your time between managing and individual contribution
- Daily meetings with the team
- One-to-ones with the direct reports
- Semi-annual reviews with the direct reports
- Work closely with the product owners and stakeholders
- Work with Ops, QA and Product teams
- Escalate issues and notify your manager of updates
Forbes aims to offer employees the flexibility they need in order to be successful. We offer a hybrid work schedule for our employees. Some roles may be remote (within the U.S.) if it aligns to the needs of the position. Any employee entering the Forbes office for business or social reasons will need to present proof of full vaccination, unless eligible for a medical or religious accommodation or other accommodation required under applicable law.
Forbes is an equal opportunity employer.