An Introduction to Forage
At Forage, we believe that talent is evenly distributed, but opportunity is not. We want to build a world where every student has the opportunity to build vital career skills and industry knowledge for free, and in so doing, give everyone the chance to discover and land their dream job.
Today, millions of candidates do just this by completing Forage virtual experience courses. Hundreds of global firms (e.g. Goldman Sachs, BCG, JPMorgan, Accenture, Electronic Arts) showcase their work and career paths on Forage so aspiring candidates can learn more about the unique and compelling opportunities those companies have to offer - for free. Our global reach means we can make a direct impact on the world’s future workforce in ways no other company can.
Forage is a fast-growing, mission-orientated start-up with a global presence and a dynamic, agile and passionate team. We’re backed by world-class investors including Lightspeed Venture Partners, Blackbird Ventures, Telstra Ventures, Citi Ventures, Y-Combinator, FundersClub, SemperVirens, Arizona State University and others.
As Forage’s legal counsel, you will be responsible for establishing and managing our internal legal function. To date, this has been managed with support from external counsel, but this role will be the first, dedicated legal function within Forage.
You will work closely with different leaders (including the CEO, COO and CRO) across a broad range of areas, including privacy and data protection, IP, labor law and corporate governance. Forage has three entities in the US, Australia and the UK, so you will work on a variety of interesting legal issues across those jurisdictions.
This is not just a “red-tape” or compliance-focused role. While a key focus for the legal function will be ensuring we are compliant with applicable legislation / regulatory regimes across all functions, we are looking for a transactional lawyer who is excited work on cross-functional legal issues and bring a creative, solutions-oriented mindset to a range of scenarios across the business. If you are someone who is excited about working with an innovative, dynamic team to solve complex legal issues and build an efficient, scaleable legal function from the ground up, this is the role for you.
- Supporting product, marketing and growth teams by identifying and solving for key legal risks and ensuring compliance with applicable regulatory regimes (particularly in relation to data, privacy and IP).
- Advising the CEO and the leadership team on key internal and external legal issues, including corporate governance, major transactions and corporate structuring.
- Independently managing our external contractual processes, including negotiating our SAAS master services agreements with our largest enterprise customers, as well as NDAs and contracts with our key vendor / suppliers.
- Working with our finance and operations teams on key reporting and governance matters relevant to tax, reporting and audit.
- Implementing processes to ensure we are adhering to relevant local legislation and regulatory regimes (including in particular, IP, privacy, data and labor law frameworks).
- Provide input and advice to help streamline our existing internal operations systems and processes.
- Engaging and managing our external legal counsel on a variety of matters.
Your experience / attributes
We focus on hiring values-aligned people because we believe the right person can learn many of the relevant skills to be successful in their role. Self-belief plays a big part in what you apply for. We encourage all job applicants to apply even if they are nervous to do so or they don’t think they fit the role description exactly. Career gaps or switches are totally welcome (even encouraged!)
To help you with your application, here is a list of the experience and key attributes we will look for in a successful candidate.
- 5+ years experience in a mid-large, global law firm, preferably based in the US, ideally followed by in-house experience at a startup or SAAS business (experience building the legal function from scratch is preferred but not required).
- JD from an accredited law school (or equivalent in non-US countries) and admission in good standing to a state bar.
- Demonstrated experience negotiating global contracts and dealing with large SAAS clients.
- Ability to work across multiple functions with key internal stakeholders and manage a range of key legal issues including IP, privacy/data and labor law.
- Excellent project management skills and proficiency context-switching and multi-tasking.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills, with an eye for detail.
- Eagerness to work as a business partner to internal clients across multiple functions.
Why work at Forage?
Forage is a small but dynamic team of builders who are passionate about equipping young people with the skills to find their dream job. We are a global team, based in offices (and home offices) across the US, Australia and the UK. We are remote-first and encourage flexibility in relation to where and how you work.
Working in our team includes the following benefits:
- 20 days of paid vacation leave
- Paid parental leave scheme
- Company-sponsored 401(k) plan
- Top-tier medical, vision, and dental plan for you and your dependents
- Company-paid basic life insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA), Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and Dependent Care FSA (DCFSA)
- Home office setup stipend
- Flexible work schedule
We celebrate diversity and we want people of all backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences to join our team. Even if you feel like you only have some of the qualities outlined in a Forage job description but you still feel like you are the right person for the job, we encourage you to apply. We do not discriminate based upon gender, race, ethnicity, religion, age, religion, disabilities, sexual orientation, or other applicable characteristics. Employment decisions are purely based on qualifications, skills, and business needs.
You’ll fit in at Forage if you’re different; if you stand out from the crowd; if you have a unique perspective and you like being creative. If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you!