Vice President of Engineering
Burlingame, CA or remote
Who we are
Focal Systems is the industry leader in retail AI solutions. We are a Silicon Valley based start-up that has more than doubled in size every year since our founding (including over 400% growth in 2021)! Our mission is to automate and optimize brick and mortar retail using deep learning computer vision. We recently closed our $25.8M Series B funding and we are growing!
What we are looking for
Reporting to the CEO, the VP of Engineering will work closely with customers, field teams, and cross-functional product teams to deliver valuable solutions to our customers. We are looking for a proven leader who will build and develop exceptional engineering teams, craft and execute best-in-class product development processes, inspire sustainable peak performance, embody our core values, and mentor, motivate and leverage every member of the team to deliver with velocity and quality.
What you will do
• Manage internal and external teams and take responsibility to hit accuracy and throughput targets
• Oversee the data operations budget, capacity planning and maintenance
• Onboard, oversee and manage relationships with third party vendors
• Maximize efficiency and productivity through extensive process analysis and interdepartmental collaboration
• Design and implement processes and operational procedure around our data pipeline
• Work closely with the product and engineering teams on building out the tools and platforms we utilize in our data processing
• Analyze and report on performance metrics such as throughput, accuracy and cost for our data operations
What you need to be successful
• Advanced degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering, or a related field
• 10+ years professional experience with 3+ years’ experience as an Engineering Leader
• Proven, hands-on experience in full-cycle software development and architecture
• Strong Project Management skills and ability to execute a Product Roadmap to spec
• Exceptional people and leadership skills, with the natural capability to command respect from development and engineering teams
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to lead, mentor and teach engineers
• Ability to motivate people, instill accountability and achieve results
• Machine Learning / Deep Learning
• Probability and Stats
Why Focal Systems
Strong Values and Mission: We are a tightly-knit team with an ambitious mission and a strong set of core values, which define our approach to business and have successfully guided us since in¬ception.
Exceptional Team: We are a team of hard-working, fun-loving professionals from some of the most eminent universities, research labs, and tech companies of our time. We pride ourselves on recruiting exceptional individuals to help us redefine the state-of-the-art.
Outstanding Partners: We work with 10+ of the largest retailers in the world and have a world-class roster of investors, advisors and partners to support & advise us in our endeavors.
What we offer
We care deeply about the health, happiness, and wellbeing of all of our employees. We offer:
• Competitive Salary & Attractive Stock
• Health Insurance
• Catered lunches
• Paid Time Off
• Quarterly Team Retreats
• Education grants