Do you want to watch from the side lines as the financial services industry is transformed? Or do you want to grasp a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of the team that makes it happen?
Fnality International was born out of the need to transform clearing and settlement processes, redefining the industry by decentralising market infrastructure using blockchain technology. Backed by a consortium of the world’s leading financial institutions, at Fnality International, the world’s most talented engineers, lawyers, bankers, analysts, and thought leaders are shaping the global future of financial services.
Fnality International is changing the way banking will work...forever. Every capability for the new eco-system will be created from scratch. Our aim is simple: to create a highly motivated and talented team that can work from first principles to create the world’s new distributed financial services infrastructure.
We are a purist agile organisation, working in multi-skilled cross-functional scrum teams. The office atmosphere can swing from buzz, laughter and excitement to heads down concentration. Every task is important here and there is no space for egos. We care more about achieving results than hours worked, and are building an inclusive, progressive culture to support this. We truly value the importance of diversity at our workplace.
About the role
This role sits within our Legal Guild and you will work in a cross-functional team in collaboration with colleagues in other guilds to deliver against our objectives. We are looking for an enthusiastic Legal Counsel with a deep interest in solving novel problems in a stimulating and supportive environment!
Day-to-day, you will be involved in a variety of tasks to keep you interested and challenged:
Analysing and presenting solutions to a wide range of novel legal and regulatory issues;
Preparing written memoranda and other explanatory/analytical artefacts, drawing upon the wide breadth of other skills and expertise in your cross-functional team (i.e. technology, strategy/finance, business development, people and talent); preparing for and attending meetings with central banks and regulators;
Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts with vendors and prospective clients;
Providing input into the development and maintenance of Fnality International’s policies;
Liaising with other Legal Guild team members (including our General Counsel) to deliver first-rate legal work, including with the involvement of our specialist external counsels across major global financial centres (London, New York, Tokyo, Frankfurt, Toronto).
You will be an analytical thinker who is able to look at tasks and understand the most efficient way to achieve the desired outcome. You will be vigilantly outcomes-focussed and fully agile in your approach to working. You will have an insatiable desire to learn, adept at picking up new challenges and giving it a go. You will want to deliver as much as learn and you will understand how important the power of the team is.
To be successful you will need demonstrable:
- Around 5+ years experience practising in commercial law (including technology/IP), corporate law and/or financial regulation, ideally in a City law firm or equivalent. (Note: We will consider strong candidates with fewer years of work experience or in other relevant practice areas). Some inhouse experience (e.g. secondment) is ideal.
- Legal professional qualification in the UK or other common law jurisdictions
- Strong academic background (at least 2:1 bachelor’s degree preferred)
- A genuine curiosity in how law and regulation intersect with emerging technologies, business strategy and new business models
- Knowledge and/or experience in blockchain technology, financial services back-office processes, systems and products is ideal
- Ideally have experience of collaborative tools such as Jira and Confluence, and strong Word/Excel/PowerPoint skills
- Experience of working in or strong desire to be part of an innovative, rapidly mobilising and evolving business / teams
- Willingness and ability to roll your sleeves up and help wherever possible
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential
To be successful you will need to be able to:
- Learn, empower and deliver from and for your team mates
- Understand and collaboratively contribute to delivering the organisations' business strategy, outcomes and success criteria
- Understand, support and adopt the organisations' 'Commercial Agility' methodology
- Contribute to the success of each team sprint though shared ownership and delivery of component stories and tasks
- Adopt continuous improvement mindset, retrospect with the team to identify and action improvements to throughput and quality
- Focus on quality and rapid ability to change, keeping the As-Is architecture current so that it remains an accurate picture of current state
- Collaborate and communicate effectively throughout solution creation, ensuring that interrelated deliverables effective and coordinated
- Focus on learning and development including empowering both Guild and team members to learn and take ownership of their own capabilities across legal, business, technical or compliance content.
How will we use the information about you?
We will use your personal information to process your application, to enable us to assess your suitability for a role and for other legitimate business purposes such as improving our sites and talent management practices. We may share your data with third parties to achieve these purposes. We will not use or share your information for marketing purposes.
We will take appropriate security measures to safeguard your information in accordance with data protection legislation.
If you would like further information about how your information may be processed by us, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.