Flyhomes is reinventing the traditional real estate process to create a radically different experience. We level the playing field by giving any qualified buyer the chance to make a cash offer. We eliminate risk and uncertainty for homeowners trying to buy a new home with our Trade Up program. We streamline the homebuying process by unifying brokerage, financing, closing, and home services. Innovation is in our DNA. What will you create here?
When you join Flyhomes, you will have the ability to not only affect change across an industry, but on a human level. Real estate and technology are what we do, but people are at the core of our mission. From client-facing roles to data and technology, we start and end with the people we work with because they’re what matters. You’ll work alongside others who love to solve problems, think creatively, and take risks to fly the plane as we continue to build it! If this sounds appealing, we want to connect with you.
We are currently seeking a dynamic VP Legal to join our fast paced start-up environment in our Seattle, WA. Fly team office!
The Vice President Legal will lead and oversee the strategic direction of the Legal and Compliance functions. This role is a key advisor to the Executive Team providing legal counsel across multiple subject matter areas and developing strategies for handling legal issues in creative, business-centric ways, and build processes that address risk and allow the business flexibility and freedom to move quickly.
What You’ll Do
- Serve as a strategic thought partner, legal advisor and team member on a broad and diverse range of general corporate, real estate, compliance, regulatory and governance issues
- Proactively identify legal risks and provide advisory support and execution on corporate matters
- Advise the company’s executives and board on broader legal and business strategy issues, including communications, fundraising, and equity structures.
- Oversee contract management; draft, review and negotiate contracts with strategic partners, vendors, and service providers
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including finance, people, product, brokerage, mortgage and engineering to manage corporate transactions, compliance practices and initiatives
- Provide legal advice and support for corporate financing transactions (debt and equity), stock option and benefit plans, corporate governance, commercial transactions, IP licensing, and international business.
- Manage relationships with external subject matter experts and outside counsel
- Formulate legal policy and process across the organization for scalability and risk mitigation
- Remain knowledgeable on relevant industry, intellectual property, and privacy laws and regulations
- Model company values and professional ethics and hold yourself and others to the highest degree of integrity
What You’ll Bring
- Ten or more years of relevant legal experience at a leading law-firm and/or in-house experience, with a startup, public company or rapid growth organization
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree and active license in California or Washington State
- Previous experience taking a fast-growth technology company through a public offering is strongly desired
- A disposition to act as both a manager and individual contributor without ego in a team-
- Technology and real estate industry experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of venture capital financing (experience preferred), including fundraising process, investor communications, and legal documentation
- Proficiency with G Suite and MS Office Suite
- Communication: You have impeccable written and verbal communication with an ability to easily convey messaging to diverse audiences. You elicit trust with your transparent communication approach.
- Impact and influence: You have the ability to persuade or convince others to support an idea, agenda or direction. Your strategic influence includes establishing credibility using data or directly persuade or address a person’s issues or concerns
- Change agent and innovator: You are comfortable with educating and influencing others through change and don’t shy away from challenging the status quo. You consider the needs of the client and culture to identify creative business solutions that work for all.
- Leadership agility: You understand current state and can visualize the ideal state to be able to counsel, and influence leadership, business partners and employees to translate vision into action. You encourage continuous learning and development across the org
- Bias for action: You have an eagerness to take initiative and persist in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks.
- Collaborative: You work with business leaders to proactively evaluate and manage risk as we scale our business
- Work Excellence: You ensure the consistency and quality of how Flyhomes is represented externally via postings, social media and recruitment events. You’re adept at prioritization and project management with attentiveness to detail and consistent follow through
- Learning Agility: You are open to new ways of thinking and committed to acquiring new skills to retain a competitive advantage
- Driven: You take initiative and persist in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. You are organized, focused and highly disciplined. Hard work doesn’t scare you
- Accountability: You accept responsibility for your own actions and decisions and demonstrate commitment to accomplishing work in an ethical, compliant, and efficient manner
- Flexibility: You thrive in a dynamic, fluid and unstructured environment because you are a self-starter who is eager to learn, grow and build something great together
Reinventing an industry takes work and we aim to recognize and champion the wellbeing of our people professionally, financially, physically and mentally.
- Healthcare benefits…obviously, plus contributions to HSA
- Flexible work schedules
- 401(k) + employer match
- Commuter benefits
- Charitable donation match
- Dog-friendly work environment (11 dogs…and counting!)
- Real estate license sponsorship
- And…drumroll please…rebates when buying / selling a home