Floyd is changing the way people buy, keep, and enjoy furniture. Our products are designed in-house and are built around the idea that well-designed furniture should be accessible, long lasting, and ship to your door (not to mention beautiful!). We create innovative products that challenge the common convention of furniture and, as a digitally native brand, the experience of buying it. We’re venture-backed and growing fast!
We don’t just make furniture — we care about the environment and all who inhabit it. We believe diversity is important in all areas of our business. We are actively pursuing people who will add to & evolve our culture because we know when folks from different backgrounds get in a room together, we make magic. We’re building an inspiring & inclusive place where people can work and grow…so we can make really great furniture.
Where You Come In
Thoughtful products are at the heart of what we create at Floyd – we need you to be an innovative leader as part of that process. Working out of our R&D Facility in Detroit, you’ll be collaborating not only with product managers and designers, but cross-functionally with the operations, marketing, and CX teams to solve for some of the biggest challenges around furniture. We’re changing and improving the way people consume, keep, and enjoy furniture. And with a big mission to fulfill, we move fast. If you’re psyched to roll up your sleeves and help us become the world’s most beloved furniture brand, we want to hear from you!
What You'll Do
- Work with the product design team to prototype, develop, and engineer furniture for the home.
- Solve engineering and design challenges to optimize for manufacturability and end-user function.
- Create SolidWorks parts, assemblies, and drawings ready for manufacturing release.
- Provide clear and organized communication to suppliers to help facilitate prototypes and convey product design intent.
- Work closely with suppliers to understand their production capabilities and how that impacts design.
- Perform testing of prototypes and finished products to ensure product performance, durability, and reliability.
- Define quality standards in collaboration with our suppliers and work to maintain outstanding product quality.
- Maintain product specifications and be an expert adviser to our customers and customer experience team.
- Re-engineer improvements to existing products.
- Take full ownership of high priority projects involving multiple stakeholders.
- Assist in leading engineering resources in all product development activities, internal and external.
This Might Describe You
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent technical degree or certification, Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years of work experience in an engineering role, preferably in product development in the furniture or home goods industry.
- Demonstrated proficiency in SolidWorks CAD modeling or other equivalent 3D CAD software.
- Knowledge of materials (steel, aluminum, wood, plastics) and manufacturing processes (forming, stamping, welding, die casting, powder coating, plating, and painting).
- A creative and aesthetic eye for mechanical problem solving.
- Experience working in a shop and making physical prototypes.
- Experience working directly with industrial designers.
- Working knowledge of standard industry tolerances and can perform a basic tolerance stack-up analysis.
- Able to travel to support product development both domestically and internationally.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Enjoy collaboration and working in a team environment.
- Ability to move FAST and can deal well with ambiguity and change.
Why Join Us
- Competitive pay
- Health coverage
- Equity in a high-growth, venture-backed company
- 401(k) with employer match
- Flexible PTO and Paid Parental Leave
- Amazing mission-driven work culture
Based in Detroit.
Research shows that women and underrepresented groups only apply to jobs only if they feel they meet 100% of the qualifications. Floyd encourages you to break that statistic and apply. No one ever meets all of the qualifications. We look forward to your application.