Floodbase (formerly known as Cloud to Street) is a top climate tech start-up and the world’s leading remote flood analytics platform. We use global satellites, AI, models, and community intelligence to monitor flood risk and flooding in real-time. Seeded by Google, our paradigm-shifting science made the cover of Nature and is the base for our proprietary technology. Today, governments across almost 20 countries have used our platform for disaster relief and to protect over 300 million people. We launched the first commercial parametric flood insurance product to protect climate-vulnerable communities.
We are looking for a climate data scientist with experience running data-driven (e.g. machine learning) or computational models. In this role, you will use satellite data, in-situ data and predictive modeling for actionable insights that can be used to ameliorate the impact of catastrophic flooding. You should apply if you are eager to develop scalable approaches to transfer disaster risk to insurance and capital markets and if you are excited to build an innovative and sustainable organization. You will work with a team of scientists and engineers with expertise in optical and microwave remote sensing, hydrology, climate, social vulnerability, and machine learning to build the next generation of tools to ensure financial protection from floods in marginalized communities.
Who you are
- B.S in a quantitative field with 5+ years of experience, or M.S. with 2+ years of experience, or PhD with 0+ years of experience.
- Expert level programming skills for environmental and climate modeling.
- Experience merging dynamic models with data.
- Apply machine learning, computational and/or statistical modeling for a diverse range of complex, high-dimensional problems.
- Work in a wide range of interdisciplinary disciplines, with some experience in geophysical science.
- Keep up with state-of-the-art modeling techniques, and identify practical approaches for scalable solutions to environmental problems.
- Research and development of innovative approaches to flood mapping, prioritizing scalability and reproducibility.
- Communicating approaches, development and results to an interdisciplinary team.
- Work closely with our interdisciplinary team of machine learning engineers, research scientists, and software developers.
- Query, pre-process, inspect, and validate a diverse range of data sources, especially remotely sensed data, to inform and validate flood models.
This position is based out of our New York City office but is currently remote. Permanent remote work is possible for the right candidate.
- Attached CV/resume
- A statement of interest including a description of relevant past projects or publications
Full-Time Team Benefits
- Generous vacation package
- Healthcare & dental insurance
- Professional development fund
- Paid parental leave
- Work from home office support
Floodbase offers competitive salaries with regular reviews and adjustments based on performance and industry standards. The salary range for this role is commensurate with experience with an expected range of $90,000 - $115,000.