Flock Safety provides the first public safety operating system that empowers private communities and law enforcement to work together to eliminate crime. We are committed to protecting human privacy and mitigating bias in policing with the development of best-in-class technology rooted in ethical design, which unites civilians and public servants in pursuit of a safer, more equitable society.
Our Safety-as-a-Service approach includes affordable devices powered by LTE and solar that can be installed anywhere. Our technology detects and captures objective details, decodes evidence in real-time, and delivers investigative leads into the hands of those who matter.
While safety is a serious business, we are a supportive team that is optimizing the remote experience to create strong and fun relationships even when we are physically apart. Our flock of hard-working employees thrive in a positive and inclusive environment, where a bias towards action is rewarded. Flock Safety is headquartered in Atlanta and operates nationwide. We have raised over $380M in venture capital including a recent Series E round led by Tiger Global. Now surpassing a 3B valuation, Flock is scaling quickly and seeking the best and brightest to help us meet our goal of reducing crime in the United States by 25% in the next three years.
- How To Succeed at Flock Video
- Flock’s Series E Announcement
- How We Stop Crime and Protect Privacy
- Flock’s Framework
- Ethics Center
Flock is looking to add a curiosity driven Embedded Android Engineer to our device software team, who will report to our VP of Engineering. Our device team is made up of motivated & passionate engineers who are responsible for all of the code running on a variety of devices Flock deploys in the real world. They enable the whole experience by writing applications that reliably capture, process, and upload over 1B+ images processed a month (we process more images than Instagram). 🤯
How you’ll make an impact:
- Integrate and customize Android frameworks to Flock Safety’s custom hardware platforms
- Work with the kernel team and device software teams to enable required functionality in Android-based devices (e.g. cameras, environmental sensors, power systems, etc.)
- Optimize Android system services and frameworks to run in a headless environment
- Develop, review, test, and debug Android APIs and system services
- Ensure the stability and robustness of the system software from ideation through production and launch
- Work with systems designed for ultimate redundancy and high availability
- Balance performance with energy consumption - we are a machine-learning enabled media processing machine powered by the sun!
- Integrate Android with other IoT devices to share data to help each other understand and respond to the environment
We’re looking for people who:
- Possess a strong desire to understand the root cause of a problem and deliver a robust solution.
- Have a strong knowledge of and experience with AOSP architecture and comprising projects
- Have extensive knowledge of Android fundamentals (ART, RIL, AIDL, Broadcast, Binder, Messenger, SystemServer, etc.). Specific experience with the Java/Frameworks side of these interfaces preferred
- Have some knowledge of common peripheral bus technologies including SPI, I2C, UART with focus on how Android interacts with these types of peripherals
- Have experience:
- Developing with embedded systems, especially headless and/or industrial/non-consumer devices
- Bringing up devices and customizing BSPs for Android other embedded build systems such as Yocto or Buildroot
- Developing for non-phone/tablet/watch Android Devices (preferred)
- Coding in C/C++ and Java, specific experience with Android Frameworks and System Java preferred
- Working in a Linux development environment with GNU toolchain and standard project management tools (Git, Github, Gerrit, etc.)
- Dealing with complex systems and codebases (AOSP, Android Makefile, Soong, HALs, etc)
- Have familiarity with:
- Linux internals (process scheduler, memory management, concurrency, synchronization, memory allocation, file system, networking, storage, subsystem architecture)
- Android system software, Android HALs and Driver Architecture
Our general interview process is outlined here.
Our values define how we approach our work every single day:
- Do the Work
- Optimism With a Plan
- Embrace Change to Grow
- Protect the Whole Community
To read more about our values click here.
Why Join Us?
Choosing where you are interested in interviewing is a big decision. We hope we can make that choice a bit easier with an inside look at what we offer:
- We have raised over $380M in venture capital and are backed by some of the top VCs, including a16z, Tiger Global, Meritech and more
- 94% of our employees recommend working here
- We have an audacious goal of reducing crime in the United States by 25% over the next three years
- 3% of crimes in the US are solved by Flock, and we help to solve ~200 crimes a day
- We partner with 2100+ cities and 1500+ agencies across the US and process 1B+ images a month (we process more images than Instagram 🤯)
- In this role, every full-time employee receives equity (stock options) in the company and a minimum starting salary of $150,000.
- We offer unlimited PTO and twelve paid holidays
- We offer fully-paid health benefits plan for employees, including Medical, Dental and Vision
- We provide 16 weeks of 100% paid leave for primary caregivers and six weeks of 100% paid leave for secondary caregivers
- We provide $150 per month work from home allowance
- We provide a $250 per year L&D stipend that can be used on Audible, Skillshare, Masterclass, Duolingo, and so much more
- Each new hire receives a one-time stipend of $750 to assist with expenses that come with setting up a home office
- We provide employees who are not local to the ATL headquarters with co-working space access paid for by Flock
Flock is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diverse backgrounds and thoughts and welcome everyone to apply for employment with us. We are committed to fostering an environment that is inclusive, transparent, and collaborative. Mutual respect is central to how Flock operates, and we believe the best solutions come from diverse perspectives, experiences, and skills. We embrace our differences and know that we are stronger working together.