Flipboard is a content discovery platform designed to inform and inspire the world. Available on web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles, videos, podcasts and products shared by the greatest publishers and our vibrant Flipboard community to advance conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
It’s our passion to make something truly life-changing and we know that design leads the way on this quest. We’re seeking a passionate, enthusiastic, and talented Director of Product Design to blaze the trail.
As Director of Product Design at Flipboard, you’ll be instrumental in rallying the entire company around the cause. You will work among a world-class team to solve challenges of all kinds, transforming the product and brand in the process.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, our Flipboard team is 100% remote. This role can be 100% remote from anywhere in the continental US or Canada during and post-pandemic.
Our Director of Product Design:
- Represents Flipboard’s mission, brand, and product both in and outside of the company
- Leads, guides, and inspires the design team, and attracts world-class design talent to Flipboard
- Coaches and mentors the designer team, nurturing each individual’s personal growth and progress towards their career goals
- Works directly with the Flipboard leadership team to determine strategy, priorities, and resourcing
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are passionate about design’s ability to create lasting impact in the world
- You have a proven track record of growing and developing a talented, diverse, inclusive team of product designers, skillfully hiring new talent and gracefully resolving staffing challenges
- You are a design leader with consumer experience in community-driven products—media-related product experience a plus
- You are self-motivated, providing direction to teams and designers from strategy to pixels
- You collaboratively work alongside your engineering, product, editorial, and marketing counterparts to solve key business problems
- You have the ability to translate ideas to designers and others, influencing external and internal stakeholders
- 7-10+ years professional experience in Product Design or related
- 4+ years in a leadership role
- Strong portfolio of design work demonstrating deep experience in end-to-end product design on products at varying points of the product life-cycle
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with a company match
- Flexible hours and generous 'out of office time' for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Subsidized commuter programs (post-pandemic)
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. The Flipboard team is headquartered in downtown Redwood City, CA in the beautiful SF Bay Area. Although our roots lie in the Silicon Valley, our team extends around the world: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, and London.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people's voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners. We value diversity and inclusion at Flipboard and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from thousands of publishers around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.