Building the quantitative technology for the future of global trade
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $300M from investors that include the Founders Fund, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta, Y Combinator, & Wells Fargo.
With offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members.
We are looking for data scientists to help extract structured information from various unstructured data sources, including human conversations. The data-science and machine learning team works both cross-functionally, as well as on specific verticals and groups within Flexport. We are spearheading projects that are both technically at the cutting edge, and also have the potential to critically impact the company’s mission and goals.
What you’ll do:
- You will work with various teams to identify high impact data science problems with high impact
- You will drive the research plan and roadmap for tackling these problems
- You will build, test, tune and iterate with various optimization / statistical / machine learning models to come up with feasible solutions that can scale and achieve sufficient accuracy
- You will work with engineering and business teams to deploy these algorithms and drive business value
What you’ll need:
- Advanced Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related technical field
- Strong foundations in probability, statistics, linear algebra and calculus
- At least 2+ years of data science work experience with medium to large size datasets
- Fluency in programming in Python and use of statistical libraries
- Knowledge of core CS concepts such as data structures, algorithms, and optimization is a plus
- Strong software engineering skills is a plus
- You are able to communicate effectively, work cross-functionally and provide technical leadership.
Where you’ll work:
Our flagship office is on Market Street. We’re dog-friendly. We do a lot of 1:1s at the beautiful Yerba Buena Gardens and, as a truly global company, we don’t let geography slow us down. We rotate hack-a-thons and move Flexporters all around the world.
Investing your time with Flexport means having immediate impact, all over the world. You’re empowered to do what’s best for everyone and trusted to make the right decisions when and where you need them. Join our collective of entrepreneurs and improve the world’s experience in global trade.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.