Senior Engineering Manager, Trade Applications
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of an $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year. a
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport centre stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
The Trade Applications team is responsible for building software that enables importers and exporters to collaborate and manage complex supply chains, making it easy for everyone to trade. We build the best-in-class freight forwarding software that powers a global distribution network operated by Flexport and its Partners to offer and fulfill the earth’s largest selection of freight service offerings with global coverage, high reliability and low cost. We work with product, design, and data teams to solve problems of work allocation and optimization. You’ll manage a highly technical team of full-stack engineers to help develop impactful and quality products in a fast-growing business. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry, specifically related to forwarding flow optimization and automation.
- Be accountable for contributing to the product and technology strategy and driving its execution to achieve both short and long-term objectives.
- Lead large, complex projects and drive end-to-end solutions ensuring that product and quality objectives are met, working closely with product managers, designers and other engineers.
- Own the efficiency and quality of the team’s output by continuously improving the development process.
- Assist the company's SOA effort in creating new services apart from the monolith.
- Manage and mentor junior manager(s) on the Customer platform team, providing guidance and career goal opportunities.
- Manage the career path and goals of team members, conducting regular 1-on-1s, and giving feedback.
- Describe, analyze, and drive agreement on major technical decisions.
- Partner with engineering leaders and experts to drive the technical design and implementation of solutions for broad or complex requirements with insightful strategic approaches.
- Build a deep understanding of the team's responsible domain(s) and how to contribute value to the business.
- Collaborate effectively with business, product managers and designers to influence the roadmap and prioritize projects.
You should have
- At least 3+ years of experience managing highly productive teams of engineers and managers
- Highly motivated by mentoring and growing managers and engineers
- Work with a high level of autonomy and responsibility for your team, but are skilled to influence and partnering with adjacent teams
- Rich development experience in at least one of the programming languages (e.g. Ruby, Java, Go etc)
- Track record of delivering on ambitious goals with high quality
- Track record of ramping up onto a new business domain quickly and make influence over product and engineering decisions
- Experience leading large projects with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to set technical vision for larger projects and coordinate technical work spanning multiple engineering teams
- You have a product-first approach to building software and you care about the real-world functionality of your programming
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and GitHub. On the front end, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling a monolithic Rails app into a service-oriented architecture including Ruby, Java and Kotlin services. Our data is persisted in Postgres and MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker, migrating to Kubernetes.