Join us to solve real world problems while shaping the future of global trade.
Our Ocean Freight Trade Lane Team is essential to winning new business, supporting all current business, and building out the future of Flexport’s ocean services. As an Senior Ocean Trade Lane Manager, you’ll be an integral part of helping achieve Flexport’s growth goals.
We’re looking for a team member, the key responsibility of your role will be to manage carrier relationships in order to drive trade growth. Doing so successfully, you will optimize our buying position and offer a higher level of service to our clients. You will be working closely with the rest of the Trade Lane Team teammates to support the related activities on the assigned trade lanes and ensure a smooth shipment flow, you will also be expected to have a large individual contribution.
- Be an Ocean leader, contribute and lead setting of team OKRs, setting project priorities, and coordination with other internal stakeholders
- Design practices, processes and procedures that allow team to execute efficiently
- People management responsibilities for all respective procurement team members, including performance evaluation, and supporting growth and development of team members
- Demonstrate an ability to project plan and develop people into roles, while taking into consideration both Flexport priorities and strengths/interests of team members
- Provides directions to team on how to grow the trade strategically in terms of volume, revenue and net revenue, ensure alignment internally and consistently look for opportunities to improve the daily workflows
Create and promote the best solutions for Flexport customers
- Fully own the end-to-end procurement, solution design, rate setting, and implementation cycles
- Think outside-the-box to create innovative solutions to satisfy current customers and to promote acquisition new customer
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to procure and set business up for operational success and provide exceptional service for Flexport FCL clients
Partner with Client Solutions, Sales and US Ocean team to provide enablement and support for effective selling of those solutions
- Communicate Ocean strategy and market to Flexport stakeholders, work consultatively with OM's and AE's to inform and set Ocean strategy together with US Ocean team
- Be the default subject-matter-expert partner for Client Solutions & the broader Demand organization to jointly drive go-to-market commercial strategy
- Do regular check with operations team for top accounts and follow up on business opportunities and provide relevant market intelligence on rate levels and market capacity
- Independently executes commercial and operational trade tasks and exceptions in accordance with agreed carrier strategy
- Understand client specific requirements, manage service disruptions, exceptions and recommend suitable alternatives, ready to jump on the call / meetings if needed
Partner with various internal team in Asia to implement and execute the ocean strategy
- Work closely with the fulfillment team, Ocean Supply Chain Operations team and partner team to ensure the instruction is clearly aligned, well executed and act as an escalation point for fulfillment team
Drive growth and profitability
- Drive the volume and net revenue growth targets for the trade
- Assist in RFQs,rate enquiries and proactively collecting feedback externally to ensure our procurement position is competitive
- Procure named account deals based on secured business pipeline for various validities conditions
- Ensure our Ocean rates are competitive to close valuable business for Flexport.. Negotiate directly with carriers, file contracts with carriers, and negotiate rates to sign carrier contracts with appropriate sub-provisions.
- Work with the Fulfillment/Partners teams to ensure appropriate allocation is considered when implementing opportunities to provide smooth business onboarding and prevent financial leakage.
Manage external vendor relationships
- Monitor and drive ocean carrier satisfaction & ensure we are quality partners for the carriers while holding carriers accountable to the service and allocation they are honoring to Flexport.
- Assess carrier performance and drive performance improvements
- Prepare and conduct carrier meetings in a regular manner. Ensure appropriate follow up with relevant stakeholders and alignment with overall carrier strategy
- Monitor performance against targets and utilization of allocation for each carrier. Identify and drive necessary course of action
You should have:
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience at a top freight forwarder or carrier and a BA/BS Degree
- Solid industry knowledge with an in-depth understanding of ocean freight and carrier management, hand on experience of Transpacific trade is a must
- Strong command of English and Mandarin
- Strategic vision and ground floor execution
- Strong team player with self starter attitude and also diligent in follow up and completion
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational skills and strong commercial sense
- Next-level attention to detail, think end to end
- Strong analytical skills and ability to structure, interpret and action data
- Strong in problem solving and ability to apply judgement for day-to-day decisions
- Ability to handle change and perform under pressure and tight timeline with great time management skill
- Excellent networking skills to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- An obsession with client happiness. You succeed when they succeed
- Ability to travel locally, nationally and internationally
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. See something broken? Fix it!
- The desire to lead, train, and develop up-and-coming industry talent, also a fast learner to adapt to ever changing environment
- Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident