Build the first modern Compliance Platform to help Flexport grow
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport you’ll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating a new operating system for global trade.
Our team, the Legal and Compliance Technology (LCT) is a cross-functional team, responsible for risk assessment and risk mitigation of logistics business, which is key to maintaining regulatory compliance and our reputation in the industry. We study the business risks in freight forwarding, develop software and processes to standardize it and make it more efficient, and ultimately automate much of it. We empower our business to be adaptable and resilient by developing composable microservices that are leveraged in our applications. Our platform provides a revolutionary new experience internally as well as for external clients to track their business risks and resolve them.
- Take point on complex product initiatives, decompose them into smaller pieces, and run them to completion with minimal supervision.
- Design flexible, maintainable code.
- Safeguard code quality on your team, reviewing others’ code with an eye to performance and maintainability.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to execute against the vision and roadmap.
- Work closely with designers and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Be part of a close-knit engineering team that ships new code into production multiple times a day.
- Geek out about shipping and logistics. (We do this often.)
You should have:
- 5+ years of experience writing software and strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers, and engineers alike.
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing, and operational issues.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app and introducing services using other languages, such as Java, Kotlin and Node.js. Our data is persisted in mostly Postgres, Mongodb and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.