Help Flexport fix the user experience in global trade!
At Flexport, we know global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries. Our role is to help businesses of all sizes find the global trade solutions that will empower their success.
Now, more than ever, customers need our support to survive and win in 2020. Their success is our success. We work back from what’s best for them to find a solution. That’s why we are building the Platform for Global trade - a strategic model combining customer centricity, supply chain expertise, advanced technology and data analytics.
Scope of the Position
The scope of this role requires a motivated business professional, experienced within the Global Trade environment and willing to learn on the job.
- Work is evaluated upon completion to ensure objectives have been met.
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Receives little instruction on day-to-day work and general instructions on new assignments.
Description of the Position
The incumbent will act as SME to support Customs Compliance programs to conform to governmental laws and regulations in APAC, as well as Flexport’s standards and principles to fully meet customs compliance needs in countries Flexport is operating in the APAC region. Provide operational direction to comply with regulations and company processes.
The incumbent needs to conduct internal audits for import and export operations in APAC.
The incumbent will primarily oversee customs service partners, provide subject matter expertise for product HS classification, Valuation, Country of Origin, etc., and communicate with Customs authorities and other government agencies as needed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as a contact point in Asia for customs compliance, provide daily guidance and support.
- Lead the review process to obtain necessary information from internal stakeholders and clients in order to properly classify products with HS code.
- Support with customs compliance audits, analyze data and report unconformities.
- Support to establish procedures and automated tools to ensure that shipments meet customs compliance requirements in APAC.
- Evaluate customs service partners periodically and manage formal requests for proposals to assess existing and select new customs service partners.
- Support to address any unconformities throughout the company and implement corrective actions.
- Assess changes in Customs Compliance requirements to develop and implement necessary operational processes, procedures and controls to ensure compliance in business divisions of the company.
- Provide training and daily support to business operations, enabling functions and business partners to ensure compliance with customs regulations.
- Provide customs compliance trainings and seminars to promote compliance culture.
- Maintain current knowledge of customs compliance regulations through official publications and trainings.
- Continuously evaluate import and export activities in order to develop and implement better compliance practices.
- Work with the customs compliance team to develop and execute special departmental projects.
- Perform other duties as required.
Minimum (Required) Qualifications:
Level of Education: Bachelor’s or equivalent Degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance, Business Administration or related disciplines; Customs & Trade Consultation experience highly desired.
Experience: 3+ years experience in International Trade and Customs or Customs consulting in the Asian context. Advanced knowledge of applicable statutes, regulations and programs.
Languages: Fluent in English (verbal and written)
- Strong management, organization, interpersonal, verbal, conceptual and presentation skills within a multinational environment
- Ability to work with and understand key information technology requirements
- Strong ability to interact effectively and collaboratively with key stakeholders
- Ability to analyze and interpret trade data and present findings
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Basic understanding of import and export regulations and documentation across countries in APAC region;
- Full computer literacy and excellent communication, analytical, and report writing skills
- Must be able to adapt to rapid change, work with a sense of urgency, and prioritize tasks through effective time management