Join us to solve real world problems while shaping the future of global trade.
At Flexport, global trade is powered by data -- data that equips our clients with best-in-class visibility into their supply chains and helps them run their businesses effectively.
As an Ocean Trade Lane Manager, you will be a key member of the Ocean Team, responsible for managing and developing carrier relationships in order to drive trade growth. You will work closely with Fulfillment, Client Solutions, Supply Chain Operations and Partner teams to achieve volume and net revenue objectives. You will be deeply involved in every facet of the Ocean business and play a critical role in building the continued success of Far East Westbound Trade.
- Grow and develop Far East Westbound trade lane together with the rest of the Ocean Trade Lane Management team. Pursue agreed volume and net revenue targets.
- Responsibility for specific carriers, carrier contacts and geographies. This covers end-to-end procurement, solution design, rate setting and implementation. Ownership of execution, issue resolution and escalation handling from a commercial and operational perspective.
- Build and develop strong carrier relationships with carriers at local, area and regional level. Continuous discussions with carriers in relation to trade growth, market rates, capacity changes, pricing policy and desired cargo mix in order to plan ahead accurately and determine how to best approach business opportunities and support.
- Regular cadence with carriers for performance management against agreed volume targets and allocations through the use of data.
- Ensure appropriate follow up with respective stakeholders with clear course of actions defined.
- Close collaboration and alignment with Ocean Trade Lane Management in Europe and Fulfillment / Supply Chain Operations / Partners in Asia.
- Make it a point to understand client needs. Support client experience and satisfaction. Think outside-the-box to create alternative and innovative solutions for existing and potential new clients. Assist with hypercare for trial shipments and new accounts.
- Procure competitive FAK rates, Named Account deals and allocations in accordance with our carrier strategy, book of business and space requirements taking into consideration terms and conditions, validities and trade offs. Onboard carriers or co-loaders in a timely manner.
- Propose recommendations towards carrier diversification, new opportunities and long-term planning.
- Act a subject matter expert for Client Solutions and other stakeholders by communicating Ocean strategy, providing regular market updates and joining sales calls to promote Flexport’s Ocean product and share value market insights.
- Independently handle RFQ’s, pricing requests and spot enquiries.
- Identify process gaps and improvements. Continuously work on further optimisation to lower cost to serve and increase effectiveness and agility.
- Drive market feedback from Demand organisation. Collect and analyse market intelligence for FAK rate setting. Stay abreast of online spot products and pricing.
- Contribute to relevant global projects and initiatives. Represent FEWB Ocean Trade Lane Management team at meetings
You should have:
- a Bachelor's degree and at least 5 year(s) of related experience
- In-depth industry knowledge and understanding of ocean freight and carrier management. Direct experience in Asia to North Europe trade lane and building relationships with carriers (preferably familiar with inland network and destination set up)
- Commercial business sense
- Solid analytical skills and ability to structure, interpret and action data
- Strong in problem solving, execution and capability to apply judgement for day-to-day decisions
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills. Adept at stakeholder management (external and internal) and tough conversations
- Process view and end-to-end thinking. Ability to challenge the status quo and work on continuous improvements
- High attention to detail and diligence in follow up
- Willingness to learn and share
- Team player and “can-do” attitude at all times
- Ability to handle change and deal with tight timelines and ambiguity
- Proficient in written and spoken English
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.