Flexport is looking for a creative, technically-minded senior manager motivated to solve unique and challenging data problems in global trade. At Flexport, data and data management is at the heart of our business; and as a Senior Manager of Data Engineering, you will partner with Data Science and Machine Learning, Software Engineering, and all parts of the business to develop scalable and innovative data-driven solutions. Specifically, you will manage and improve a layered, self-service data warehouse that utilizes a modern tech stack and processes and stores large amounts of low latency structured and unstructured data. Working jointly with other teams, you will use and extend these systems to execute successful, data-driven strategies across Flexport.
You should have deep expertise in designing, building, and managing large datasets across various data platforms. You should be up to speed on tooling, technologies, and methodologies in data engineering and able to evaluate them as necessary. You should also excel at working with multiple customers/partners to understand data needs and design scalable and efficient ETL solutions for various use cases. Our data science, product, and engineering teams collaborate closely with our data engineering team to share domain knowledge, test hypotheses at scale, and develop promising solutions that can be quickly and widely deployed. You should be eager to understand the wide and deep domain, but able to generalize to standard and reusable patterns and ensure that your team can do the same. You should be passionate about providing effortlessly accessible intelligence and actionable insights to our end users inside and outside of the company and creating new or enhanced value through data-powered solutions in all parts of our business.
Locations: San Francisco, CA; Bellevue, WA
- Build a world-class team of talented data engineers, demonstrate thought leadership and guidance to make the proper scientific or technical trade-offs to meet our needs.
- Create the technical vision for the team on both data foundations and advanced models/algorithms.
- Own the strategic research and product roadmap that delivers the best data solution needed to deploy state-of-the-art science solutions.
- Hire and develop the best data engineering team in the industry.
- Guide and develop the career of your direct reports.
- Build a team culture around technical excellence and strong delivery.
- Work collaboratively with product, engineering, and business leadership to:
- find opportunities to improve and enhance our data products,
- understand Flexport’s technology stack, business, and operations processes to identify impact opportunities,
- translate ambiguous requirements into the right data solution, and
- deploy and maintain robust and scalable production solutions.
You Should Have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field and 7+ years of experience in software development, focusing on big data processing and distributed systems.
- 5+ years of experience leading and growing teams of data or machine learning engineers.
- Strong programming experience in SQL and one or more languages: C/C++, C#, Java, Python.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate with various stakeholders to understand requirements and present findings and recommendations that show value.
- Technically deep in the principles of building large-scale data solutions.
- Experience with distributed systems and NoSQL databases
- Great at system design with solid evidence of capability to design complex data solutions.
- Experience leading the development of complex software systems that have been successfully deployed.
- Experience and a strong background in design, engineering, and implementation.
- Masters Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Deep experience and expertise in ETL optimization, designing, coding, and tuning big data processes using dbt or cloud-native solutions (running on Kubernetes)
- Extensive experience designing, developing, and deploying data pipelines and applications to stream and process data at low latencies needed to support near real-time production pricing, planning, and ML solutions.
- Demonstrate efficacy in building data solutions that support data lineage tracking, ensuring that data, as it flows from sources to consumptions, can be understood, recorded, and visualized.
- Knowledge of distributed systems and data architecture and experience in designing and implementing batch and stream data processing pipelines
- Knowledge and experience with optimization of the distribution, partitioning, and parallel processing of high-level data structures.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific, as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital, and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Are you worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s crucial for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding, and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another, and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one-week intensive onboarding program explicitly designed to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.