Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport you’ll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating the new operating system for global trade.
Ocean Planning is a cross-functional, full-stack team that builds software to power Flexport’s core product, ocean freight. Our mission is to match our clients' cargo to the best ship available, maximizing on time delivery at the best rates. Our work includes close collaboration with business leaders and end users to automate and optimize this process. We are looking for an engineering manager to help build out this team and develop a strong roadmap together with local product management and business stakeholders.
- Develop the technical roadmap for the team by collaborating with other cross-functional team members, including product management, UX design and research
- Manage execution of initiatives, define success metrics, and improve processes to help achieve better outcomes
- Promote growth opportunities for engineers and provide mentorship
- Gain a deep understanding of the fascinating logistics industry
What you’ll build:
You will work on projects in the following areas:
- Ocean Planner - As our network increases in complexity, planning and routing become exponentially more complex. We will build fully automated planning and optimization technology powered by data science to match demand to the right supply. The planner will trade off the probability of no-shows (due to cargo ready date changes or cancellations) with taking bookings over available capacity to maximize space utilization, while still ensuring a reliable shipping experience for clients. The planner will prioritize clients based on customer lifetime value, incorporate carrier performance to ensure we utilize space we have committed to.
- Instant Quoting - Clients will be able to get an instant quote with a promised "delivered by" date that Flexport is able to achieve with 95% or higher on-time performance. The quote will be based on real-time inventory availability, high confidence ML predicted transit times and dynamic pricing.
You should have:
- At least 2+ years of experience managing a team of software engineers.
- At least 8 years of experience developing software (including management).
- Experience hiring and building diverse and inclusive teams.
- Experience setting technical vision and roadmap for a team.
- Track record of ideating, planning, executing, and reflecting on multi-month initiatives.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Experience managing full-stack application teams.
- Experience working in a cross-functional team with product, design, and data.
- Experience developing distributed systems.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and GitHub. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling a monolithic Rails app into a service-oriented architecture including Ruby, Python, Java and Kotlin services. Our data is persisted in Postgres and MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker, migrating to Kubernetes.