Build the platform to help Flexport grow
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport you’ll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating the new operating system for global trade.
Ocean Execution is a cross-functional, full-stack team that builds software to power Flexport’s core product, ocean freight. We streamline and automate the process of booking and managing shipments on the world’s container ships for external logistics providers and our internal teams. Our work includes close collaboration with business leaders and end users to develop applications that make freight shipments faster and cheaper, delighting customers. We are looking for an engineering manager to help build out this team, including hiring a team of engineers and developing a strong roadmap, together with local product management and business stakeholders.
- Recruit a team of engineers with diversity and inclusion in mind
- Develop the technical roadmap for the team by collaborating with other cross-functional team members, including product management, UX design and research
- Manage execution of initiatives, define success metrics, and improve processes to help achieve better outcomes
- Promote growth opportunities for engineers and provide mentorship
- Gain a deep understanding of the fascinating logistics industry
What you’ll build:
You will work on projects in the following areas:
- Ocean Carrier Automation - Automate processes for interacting with ocean carriers globally.
- Work Automation - Create applications to help operators (Asia, EU, NA) manage shipments more efficiently and reliably, bringing offline processes online and automating manual work.
You should have:
- At least 1+ years of experience managing a team of software engineers.
- At least 8 years of experience developing software (including management).
- Experience hiring and building diverse and inclusive teams.
- Experience setting technical vision and roadmap for a team.
- Track record of ideating, planning, executing, and reflecting on multi-month initiatives.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Experience managing full-stack application teams.
- Experience working in a cross-functional team with product, design, and data.
- Experience developing distributed systems.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and GitHub. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling a monolithic Rails app into a service-oriented architecture including Ruby, Java and Kotlin services. Our data is persisted in Postgres and MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker, migrating to Kubernetes.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile.
Employee Applicant Requirements:
Internal JD only
- Employees need to be in their current role for at least 12 months and in good performance standing before they can be considered for a new role.
- Communication about open internal roles will be shared with all employees through the internal communication lead at Flexport and coordinated by the recruiting team. Communication via email will go out company-wide twice per month, and will be included in the company newsletter once per month.
- Transition periods for employees into their new roles should be no longer than 60 days. We want to make sure that employees can join their new teams in a timely manner so that their experience in their new role is just as positive as it was in their first role with Flexport. This timeframe will allow proper transition plans to be put into place and address any geographic moves.
If you have questions about this process please talk with your manager, your GM or your exec team member.
External JD only
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
External JD only
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, creed, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.