Build the platform to help Flexport grow
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport you’ll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating the new operating system for global trade.
Ocean Ops Tools is a cross-functional, full-stack team that builds software to power Flexport’s core product, ocean freight. We streamline and automate the process of booking and managing shipments on the world’s container ships for external logistics providers and our internal teams. Our work includes close collaboration with business leaders and end users to develop applications that make freight shipments faster and cheaper, delighting customers. We are looking for an engineering manager to help build out this team, including hiring a team of engineers and developing a strong roadmap, together with local product management and business stakeholders.
- Recruit a team of engineers with diversity and inclusion in mind
- Develop the technical roadmap for the team by collaborating with other cross-functional team members, including product management, UX design and research
- Manage execution of initiatives, define success metrics, and improve processes to help achieve better outcomes
- Promote growth opportunities for engineers and provide mentorship
- Gain a deep understanding of the fascinating logistics industry
What you’ll build:
You will work on projects in the following areas:
- Ocean Carrier Automation - Automate processes for interacting with ocean carriers, such as booking and tracking shipments.
- Work Management - Create applications to help operators manage shipments more efficiently and reliably, with human workflows defined to fill gaps in existing automation.
You should have:
- At least 5 years of experience managing a team of software engineers.
- At least 10 years of experience developing software (including management).
- Experience hiring and building diverse and inclusive teams.
- Experience setting technical vision and roadmap for a team.
- Track record of ideating, planning, executing, and reflecting on multi-month initiatives.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Experience managing full-stack application teams.
- Experience working in a cross-functional team with product, design, and data.
- Experience developing distributed systems.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and GitHub. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling a monolithic Rails app into a service-oriented architecture including Ruby, Java and Kotlin services. Our data is persisted in Postgres and MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker, migrating to Kubernetes.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile.