We are reinventing global trade.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone.
Flexport is looking for a Head of Content to take our content efforts to the next level. You will partner with talented writers, designers and growth thinkers to develop and deploy a world-class, multi-channel, and multi-format content strategy to build Flexport’s brand, engage new and existing customers, and drive pipeline.
At Flexport, you’ll develop innovative content franchises that perform against a broad range of KPIs -- driving long term brand value as well as immediate conversion across our paid, owned and earned channels. Your goals will include increasing site traffic, email subscriptions and social followers, driving new sales leads, and improving fundamental brand metrics such as awareness, familiarity and favorability.
The long (content) game is to build Flexport into a content brand for global trade that rivals what Bloomberg Businessweek is for finance. We have the opportunity to become the most trusted, personable and helpful source of information on global trade out there. While this is a long term vision, everything we build today should be baby steps in that direction.
You will be part of our Global Brand team, working closely with teammates in Growth, Product Marketing and Comms, and even more importantly, with our deep bench of subject matter experts across the company. They will become your best sources as you conceptualize, research and deliver content assets that move the needle for Flexport in a competitive - and sometimes chaotic - marketplace.
- Based on buyer insights and channel performance data, develop and execute on a content roadmap that engages key personas at each point in the customer journey, from top-funnel acquisition to nurture and ongoing customer education, both on Flexport offerings as well as on the industry.
- Apply intelligence, wit and heart to make our content something to look forward to, a moment of clarity in a fast-paced day. People should perk up when they hear from Flexport.
- Recruit and manage outside agencies and freelancers to grow our capacity, and leverage our subject matter experts to drive and scale the production of compelling content.
- Work with regional Growth and Marketing teams to ensure content development aligns with funnel-building objectives for each target segment.
- Measure the impact of our content strategy as well as the performance of individual assets, and proactively refine our resource allocation and prioritization accordingly.
- Work with the Creative Director and VP, Global Brand to ensure Flexport’s brand and voice are used consistently and effectively, and evolve in lockstep with the company’s projected growth.
- Deliver robust content to support two discrete outcomes:
- Supply Chain Education: Build out our library of helpful and educational content for shippers at all levels of sophistication and supply chain complexity
- Position Flexport as the go-to: Make Flexport *the* place to go to learn about supply chain for industry professionals as well as a mainstream audience that includes reporters, investors, and policy makers and regulators.
- Own the distribution and promotion strategy for any content you and your team create, in partnership with channel owners in Growth and Marketing.
- Deeply curious. You’re excited to learn about complex problems in a complex industry, and to distill complexity to the frequency of your audience.
- Organized. You know how to manage complex projects, multiple stakeholders and competing priorities to create an actionable plan and get the most impactful work done.
- A strategic thinker. You’re always looking around the corner for Flexport while focused on maximizing impact today.
- Rigorous. Your decisions and recommendations are a mix of data and intuition.
- A true team player. You think across the full spectrum of channels available to us in Brand. Flexport is a team-oriented company that requires effective collaboration to drive company-wide results. You are someone who not only likes working in a team, but enjoys leading one, too.
- Proactive in planning and maybe even more importantly, building the feedback loop that will make your plan a success: determining and informing the right stakeholders in Brand and beyond, gaining their buy-in and keeping them informed
- Data driven. You seek out data to inform your approach and constantly iterate on what you’re doing based on what’s working and what’s not
- Ready to roll up sleeves. We run a lean team so you’ll lead the Content discipline but also write the actual words. Sometimes, you’ll be the final editor, sometimes you’ll provide the first draft.
- A great, gorgeous writer.
- BA or equivalent degree, preferably in communications, journalism or related area of expertise.
- 10+ years of experience in content marketing, editorial or marketing communications at a B2B company, with at least two years managing people. Supply chain and technology experience are major pluses.
- Led or had a significant leadership role in driving at least 10 percent annual digital growth (page views, uniques)
- Deep understanding of content marketing strategy led equally by data and instincts, with a track record of driving measurable results in demand generation and pipeline creation.
- Working knowledge of design and editorial principles for both traditional and digital-first content. While white papers, reports and how-to articles are a staple, you know how to leverage social, web, mobile, and streaming formats for the greatest impacts.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade — a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 116 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
Don’t be! Many of us were once in your shoes.
Global trade is an infinitely fascinating but highly complex industry, where purchasing decisions are made every day rather than on an annually recurring basis. Don’t worry, you won’t need to become the world’s expert on ocean freight (we already hired that guy). We’ll look to you to apply your deep understanding of our key audiences, the funnel, and how to meet a digitally connected audience where they are.
It’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move this industry forward. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.