We are reinventing global trade.
Join us to solve real world problems while shaping the future of global trade.
Flexport has an immediate opening for a Program Manager to join our Finance Optimization team. Finance is central to Flexport’s success - creating transparency of company’s performance, financials, risks and internal controls, and building the people, process and product needed for the future of Flexport.
We're looking for a Program Manager with this mission. You will be the champion to implement finance policies, processes and procedures via leading and managing complex operational projects across multiple function teams, business lines and locations.
This person will have operated successfully in a fast-paced, global, results-oriented environment. Strong oral and written communication skills are crucial, as well as ability to think clearly, analyze quantitatively, problem-solve, scope business requirements and prioritize.
Successful candidates will have deep experience in the following three disciplines – Accounting, Program Management and Finance Systems.
Report into the Head of Finance, Optimization. This person will work closely with the global financial systems team, accounting operations teams, tax, treasury, and others, and represent the finance organization to various stakeholders. In this role, the candidate will be part of a team that collaborates with business finance and technical teams to deliver solutions that are highly scalable, secure and flexible.
- Work with global finance leaders and provide expertise to develop strategies and tactical planning. Design and drive execution through program & project management.
- Work independently and owns program & projects entirely, both in their area and cross-functionally; Sought out as a mentor and known as the “teammate of record” in their subject area
- Provide guidance and unblocks others; finds opportunities to mentor and grow teammates
- Lead and collaborate with a team of operations associates and managers, and functional leaders to identify root causes and determine people, process or operational solutions to address them
- Oversee implementation of business measurement, financial guidelines or strategies, and support management reporting through coordination and communication between finance and cross functional teams
- Develop project plan and drive cross-functional team tasks to ensure each project completes on-time, within agreed constraints of resources, scope, quality and risks
- Measure and monitor each project from inception to delivery, including tracking and communicating status, identifying and tracking cross-functional dependencies, proposing options to mitigate risk and drive issues to resolution
- Proactively identifying and removing impediments on behalf of the team or negotiating with stakeholders when the project scope changes.
- Facilitate discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution
- Assisting with internal and external team communication, improving transparency, and disseminating information about the project/change.
- Effectively provide updates to stakeholders of key issues that may impact project completion, budget or other results
Typically requires a minimum of 10 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 8 years and a Master’s degree; Candidate experience should cover financial processes, project management, accounting requirements documentation, process design, and user acceptance testing responsibilities. Demonstrated experience in leading teams to accomplish unusually complex challenges is expected as this is an ongoing requirement for this position.
- Bachelor degree or above in business management or related disciplines
- 10+ years of working experience in consulting, finance or project management, preferably in the logistic or software development industry (or a Master’s degree with 8 year experience; or a PhD with 5 years experience.)
- Knowledge and experience in software development is a plus
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to build strong, cohesive relationships with the finance, operations, technology and other key stakeholders
- Data driven, strong analytical and logical sense
- Strong attention to detail and proficient problem solving skills.
- An obsession with client happiness. You succeed when they succeed
- Willing to embrace and drive changes
- Strong sense of prioritization and ability to execute on deliverables
- Be able to influence and motivate the peers and stakeholders
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade — a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 116 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
Don’t be! Many of us were once in your shoes.
Global trade is an infinitely fascinating but highly complex industry, where purchasing decisions are made every day rather than on an annually recurring basis. Don’t worry, you won’t need to become the world’s expert on ocean freight (we already hired that guy). We’ll look to you to apply your deep understanding of our key audiences, the funnel, and how to meet a digitally connected audience where they are.
It’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move this industry forward. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.