Build the infrastructure to power global trade
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B from investors that include the Founders Fund, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta, Y Combinator, Wells Fargo, & Softbank.
With 14 offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members.
Frontend Infrastructure at Flexport
The frontend infrastructure team strives to provide product teams with the tools and capabilities to efficiently build great user experiences. Our work impacts every product team at Flexport. We shape the architecture of the frontend across the company. We make platform-wide changes and upgrade the entire codebase along the way with codemods.
Some of the things we do:
- Create the infrastructure so teams can start building new front end applications without needing to know how to build and deploy them
- Manage a federated GraphQL gateway service
- Make it easy to create new frontend applications at Flexport
- Build and maintain a flexible but cohesive design system called Latitude
- Own front end best practices and enforce them with static analysis (Flow) and eslint rules
- Provide teams with visibility into their test coverage and frontend performance
Flexport’s design system, Latitude, powers our design and product development processes. As part of the frontend infrastructure team, you’ll have the opportunity to influence the direction for how every team at Flexport builds UI. You’ll work closely with designers and engineers to implement high quality, performant, and accessible UI as well as ensure our components and patterns are well-documented and maintained. Our team members are evangelists for our best practices—our design system’s success depends on widespread adoption. You’ll work with product teams to ensure our design system can support the next generation of products at Flexport.
- Lead projects to evolve our frontend infrastructure and architecture (GraphQL federation, Next.js, frontend platform services)
- Enhance our backend for frontend systems
- Implement tooling and drive initiatives to ensure best practices across teams as well as maximize developer productivity and developer experience
- Create frontend components to enable all teams at Flexport to quickly build cohesive experiences
- Collaborate with design, research, and product to build an elegant,performant, and accessible UX
You should have:
- 7+ years of engineering experience
- Experience designing and leading architectural projects
- Systematic thinker (consider how components can scale across our teams)
- Strength in cross-functional collaboration with design, product, and business
You've ideally worked with:
- Frontend test frameworks (Jest)
- Design systems
- Web performance (time-to-interactive, dependencies, wasted renders)
- Frontend build/deployment process (Webpack, Babel)
Culture & Values
- Learn more at www.keyvalues.com/flexport
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.