Build complex software for modern global logistics
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
From Audrey, a 2019 Summer Intern, “my internship at Flexport was an authentic reflection of life as a software engineer because I was entrusted with the same responsibilities and projects as the rest of the team. At the same time, I was provided with the support, opportunity, and bandwidth to quickly enhance my abilities and contribute quality work, as part of the team.”
To read more about what you might work on, check out a few blog posts from our recent interns:
- 5 Lessons Learned Building Custom Client Tasks
- What it’s like to work as an Infrastructure Software Engineer at Flexport
- Work across our tech stack using React, GraphQL, Ruby on Rails and Java
- Ship code that contributes to our core product—you won't be tossed a list of edge-case bugs nobody else wants to solve
- Build scalable programs that standardize information flowl, and increase operational efficiency
- Gain authentic experience of the software development lifecycle
- Have an experienced mentor to make sure you have a successful internship experience
- Be part of a close-knit engineering team that continuously ships new code
You will get:
- An assigned manager and mentor who will be dedicated to your success at Flexport.
- Projects and assignments which will help build your knowledge and skills while making a direct impact on the business.
- Visibility to leaders within the organization and opportunities to present your work/projects.
- Opportunity to join team building activities to get you familiarized with both your immediate team and other Flexport employees.
You should have:
- Preferably undergraduate pursuing career in software development, expecting to graduate within 1 year of internship
- An ability to navigate through difficult software problems
- A product-first approach to building software. You care about the real world functionality of your programming
- A bias for action & strive for excellence
- A growth mindset and a willingness to dive into new challenges and learn
- Twelve weeks of full-time availability during Summer 2021
Our web frontend is built with React and our mobile apps use Expo-managed React Native. We manage the flow of data in our applications with GraphQL/Relay. On the backend, we’re in the process of breaking down our monolithic Rails app into smaller, domain-focused services. We have introduced a few network isolated services using languages like Java and Kotlin, and are open to exploring new languages as business needs evolve. We use Postgres and Redis for persistence, and we employ continuous integration/deployment so changes go straight to production after code review. Our apps are hosted in AWS, images are built with Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
- Check out our Key Values profile
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.