Build Flexport’s software to make an impact
We’re looking for Engineering interns to join us on the journey to automate many of the most painful and complex processes in the last industry to go untouched by technology. Aside from being part of a team that continuously deploys code, you’ll have the opportunity to make a real impact where no project is too big or small.
The Bellevue team is close to 50 people working on problems across Finance, Supply and Demand Tooling, and Flexport OS - our idea of federating out Flexport’s capabilities as a platform. We are a bunch of problem solvers who believe in chipping away at large problems incrementally. Nothing falls under “not my area”. We are a close knit team - we work hard and have sewn in fun times into our daily rituals as we’ve adapted to a new work from home reality. It’s work with a direct impact on the company’s bottom line!
- Own a project that has serious impact on Flexport’s business
- Work across our tech stack using React, ES2017, Ruby, Java, Relay & GraphQL
- Code that contributes to our core product—you won't be tossed a list of edge-case bugs nobody else wants to solve
- Have an experienced mentor who considers it their job to make sure you're growing the skills you need
- Organize fragmented data from the world of freight forwarding into intelligible data models that drive efficiency in our core application
- Build scalable programs that standardize information flow & increase operational efficiency
- Be part of a close-knit engineering team that continuously ships new code
You will get:
- An assigned manager and mentor who will be dedicated to your success at Flexport.
- Projects and assignments which will help build your knowledge and skills while making a direct impact on the business.
- Visibility to leaders within the organization and opportunities to present your work/projects.
- Opportunity to join team building activities to get you familiarized with both your immediate team and other Flexport employees.
You should have:
- An ability to navigate through difficult software problems
- A product-first approach to building software. You care about the real world functionality of your programming
- A bias for action & strive for excellence
- A desire to work hard and the curiosity to learn
- Twelve weeks of full-time availability—this internship has a start date in Summer 2021
Our web frontend is built with React and our mobile apps use Expo-managed React Native. We manage the flow of data in our applications with GraphQL/Relay. On the backend, we’re in the process of breaking down our monolithic Rails app into smaller, domain-focused services. We have introduced a few network isolated services using languages like Java and Kotlin, and are open to exploring new languages as business needs evolve. We use Postgres and Redis for persistence, and we employ continuous integration/deployment so changes go straight to production after code review. Our apps are hosted in AWS, images are built with Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
- Check out our Key Values profile
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.