At Flexport, we know global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. Flexport today connects over 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries. The role of the Account Executive is to be an ally to our prospects and clients. Our role is to help businesses of all sizes find the global trade solutions that will empower their success.
Now, more than ever, customers need our support to survive and win in 2020. Their success is our success. We work back from what’s best for them to find a solution. That’s why we are building the Platform for Global trade - a strategic model combining customer centricity, supply chain expertise, advanced technology and data analytics.
Our goal for this role is to help you become a trusted business partner to our prospective and new clients so that their business can benefit from Flexport’s unique global trade solutions. As an Account Executive on the Global Client Solutions Team, your mission will be to learn and translate new client’s business and supply chain challenges into the solutions they need to propel their business forward.
In every role at Flexport, we balance high levels of tactical performance (convergence and scalability) with high levels of adaptive performance (divergence and problem solving) – it means we are constantly learning and finding ways to improve. In this role, adaptive performance is essential to finding prospective clients who can benefit from Flexport’s value proposition and helping prospective clients realize that Flexport value.
- You will uncover what is most important to prospects and clients in order to design and deliver the best Flexport solution to meet their needs.
- You will use your deep knowledge of the prospect’s business and supply chain priorities to design the client strategy that will deliver the best client outcomes.
- You will work cross-functionally – across Supply Chain Operations, Procurement, Account Solutions, Implementation, Industry SMEs, and Trade and Financial Services teams – to develop and execute a solution for the client.
- You will develop the initial client plan and pricing strategy that delivers a win-win solution for the client and for Flexport.
- You will provide feedback to Product and Service leaders on program enhancements and service offerings needed to be more competitive
- You will secure business through analysis and development of strategic sales channels
- You will create alignment of executive level customer contacts and maintain relationships with critical stakeholders at some of the world’s largest brands
- You will dig deep into the client’s order to cash cycle and demonstrate a clear understanding of current state business models and future state goals
- You will develop client roadmaps that include a plan for execution, quantifiable ROI and cost/risk avoidance strategies
- You will ensure that new clients adopt Flexport’s solutions, consistently realize the Flexport value, and build trust in their Client Solutions team.
- You will stay up-to-date on the latest industry and supply chain developments, so that you can proactively educate and support your clients through change.
- You will use regular client touchpoints and business reviews to help new clients understand the value they are realizing and to capitalize on new opportunities to deepen the relationship.
- You will have constant opportunities to learn by attending and participating in sales meetings, training seminars and workshops.
Our clients depend on us to manage their experience with high degrees of professionalism and attention to detail. Here are some of the tactical responsibilities for this role:
- You will be responsible for identifying and developing new client relationships and business.
- You will develop and propose the initial pricing strategy for the client.
- You will execute all aspects of the initial sales process and input all relevant activities and data into Salesforce, the CRM.
- You will perform sales activities such as scoping the initial opportunity for the prospective client, defining the client’s success criteria, managing the client’s expectations during onboarding, and ensuring successful client outcomes and product and service adoption.
- You will develop collaborative strategic plan(s) reflecting both the customer’s and Flexport’s future visions.
- You will demo Flexport’s value and service offerings.
- You will deliver regular forecasts for prospects and clients.
- You will build and document detailed account plans that match Flexport’s supply chain solutions to new clients’ needs.
- You will partner with your Business Development Team, Client Solutions and Supply Chain Management teams to ensure successful client outcomes, and solve escalations when required.
- You will master teaching the Flexport platform and value proposition to prospective clients.
- You may participate in the industry bid season and respond to client RFPs.
What you will need
- BA/BS degree and minimum
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in quota-carrying sales or account management roles
- Experience closing new business for global accounts with complex supply chains
- A background in logistics, freight forwarding, or supply chain (Required)
- Persistent: always looking for a path to “yes.” You break down barriers, partner with others, and get creative to find a Flexport solution for a prospect.
- Results-oriented: you know the success criteria that the client is looking to achieve and you are laser-focused on ensuring that Flexport exceeds expectations.
- Deeply curious: always digging deeper into what the client prioritizes and needs in order to tailor an even better solution for the client.
- Client-centric: obsessed with client outcomes, doing what it takes to deliver the client’s expectations
- Team player: you know that selling unique solutions is a team effort. You partner openly with internal stakeholders to craft the best solution for the client.
- Building trusted advisory relationships with prospects and clients
- Analyzing and understanding the client’s priorities, needs and expectations
- Making a proposal for partnership and value exchange
- Motivating a client to take action
- Exceptional business acumen
- Deep understanding of industry trends and practices
- Ability to sell SaaS solutions inclusive of order and BCO management programs
- Management of client level P&L
- Developing a clear account strategy and plan
- Communicating with structure
- Managing time and commitments
- Consensus building
- Building and activating an impactful internal network for team selling
- Industry knowledge and ability to apply accordingly
- Understanding of the client lifecycle and its impact on shipment movement
- Negotiating contracts and commercial requirements
- Strong understanding of contracts and credit policy
Growth and development
What you will learn
- Increased ability to illustrate and personifying a value proposition
- Communicating with senior stakeholders
- Diagnosing a client’s deeper needs
- Building strategy through a client viability lens
- Alignment of Flexport’s technology to drive efficiencies within complex supply chains
Future tracks this role could lead to:
- A sales role in a different client segment or geography
- A role in sales leadership to act as player/coach
- A roles in the sales enablement or sales excellence function, to educate sales teams
- The opportunity to collaborate cross functionally on continuous improvement projects
Why join Flexport?
Investing your time with Flexport means keeping pace with a rapidly growing business, learning new skills, and seeking opportunities to think from end to end. We appreciate your contributions to making Flexport an amazing place to work and we encourage upwards or lateral movement and transfers that align with current business needs and help Flexport deliver on its mission and unlock the potential in our team members.