Build the Operating System for Global Trade - FlexportOS
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B from investors that include SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. Only Flexport connects all the parties in global trade – importers, exporters, trucking companies, ocean carriers, airlines, customs agencies, port terminals – through a single, secure cloud-based platform.
The Flexport Operating System (FlexportOS) team is getting started on building a brand new platform to deliver flexible, reliable, and scalable solutions that connect consignees, shippers, freight forwarders, ports, carriers, and customs brokers to a single source of truth for global trade. We are constructing a digital view of trade networks, port information, carrier capacities, schedules and shipment activity. FlexportOS is a platform that will open up trade APIs to the world and provide developers with utilities for building applications to support global trade. The OS will provide a library of APIs that take care of the heavy lifting behind the scenes to provide fundamental capabilities for global trade - like Network, Visibility, and Coordination, enabling engineers to spin up useful business applications for trade faster than ever before.
We are looking for a seasoned Engineering Leader to lead this greenfield opportunity to reshape a whole industry by creating the new operating system for global trade. The successful candidate is one who thrives in a fast-paced environment. You seek to dive deep into details on business, operations, and engineering. You are a technical and detail-oriented leader who can build and grow organizations and other leaders. You act as a leader who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery. You are a positive influencer across diverse teams, able to effectively rally support for your initiatives, and be able to help deeply technical teams create simple solutions to meet your program goals. You have strong judgment. Our leaders have a lot of ownership and autonomy so they need to be right a lot.
- Lead all the engineering teams for FlexportOS to design, build, and operate all FlexportOS services.
- Hire and develop software development managers and engineers.
- Collaborate with Product, Design, Data and Program Management leaders.
- Proactively remove roadblocks, pave the way for innovation and handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
You should have:
- 12+ years of industry experience
- 7+ years of managing a team
- 4+ years of managing managers
- Experience managing engineering organizations larger than 50 people while still remaining hands-on
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (related field) or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years of software development experience in a combination of any of the following languages: Java, C++, C#, Python or Ruby
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.