Strengthen & Grow our Insurance Business
Flexport is a platform for global trade. We are a licensed freight forwarder and customs brokerage built around a modern technology stack. We help some of the world's fastest growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving products between any two places on the planet. Started in 2013, we've now raised $1.3B from investors including Peter Thiel of Founders Fund, Softbank, DST, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta, Felicis Ventures, Y Combinator, and more.
We’re looking for a Director of Insurance who will strengthen and grow our insurance business. You’ll be responsible for the strategic direction and the day-to-day execution of our client facing insurance programs. You’ll have the opportunity to streamline processes for our clients, vendors, and partners globally - all while making our teams more efficient by driving standardization and efficiencies within our insurance programs.
- Create and grow insurance offerings for a variety of existing and new clients
- Lead, mentor, and develop a small team of early to mid-career professionals
- Develop and maintain key relationships with external insurance brokers and underwriters
- Manage existing offerings, while driving improvements in our product, policies, and underwriting
- Create risk management solutions for our most complex clients, while partnering cross-functionally with Claims, Risk Engineering, and Operations teams
- Continuously develop new insurance offerings through risk/pricing optimization and coverage innovation
- Stay up-to-date on global insurance compliance policies and regulatory developments
- Collaborate with global counterparts at our offices in Europe and Asia
You should have:
- 7+ years of experience in product, pricing and/or underwriting at an insurer, broker, or Insurtech startup
- 3+ years of leadership experience managing a small team and developing people
- Track record in developing insurance products and ongoing portfolio management
- Experience in designing and writing policies and insurance related documentation
- Advance knowledge of Ocean Marine Cargo Insurance and compliant global program placement
- Familiarity with sophisticated cargo pricing methods utilizing actuarial analysis
- Strong knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, international/national/local filing regulations and guidelines
- Experience working with Captives to optimize risk and launch new innovative offerings
- Client service focused attitude with experience serving customers’ needs
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Love to work as an integral part of cross functional teams
- Desire to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it
- Can-do attitude and motivation to join and expand an early-stage team
- BA/BS degree
- MS or MBA a plus
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.