Build the infrastructure to help Flexport scale
We are in the process of transforming our monolith Ruby service to a polyglot microservice system. We are rapidly growing our engineering organization across multiple time zones and continents. We are planning to expand our infrastructure across multiple regions over the new few years. The global Site Reliability Engineering team plays a critical role in this journey. As the Database Engineer, you will work in a highly collaborative and fast-changing environment, and you will focus on improving the performance and scalability of our services.
- Instrument, measure, analyze and work with teams to improve application and database performance across all services
- Optimize and configure PostgreSQL DB
- Design and build performance tools to simulate production traffic
- Build performance into the CI/CD pipeline
- Monitor site availability and reliability on a daily basis
- Understand, investigate and triage production issues and bottlenecks, root cause and implement or help teams to implement solutions to eliminate future incidents
- Build visibility into SLAs and service dependency graphs
- Drive efficient systems and processes: capacity planning and change management
You should have
- Extensive experience with Application Performance Management, logging, and other monitoring tools
- Extensive experience in identify performance bottleneck and work with teams on improving performance
- Extensive experience with query tuning and schema design for performance optimization
- Experience in PostgreSQL DB optimization and CI/CD pipeline
- Experience working with complex, enterprise-level architectures
- Good understanding of AWS (or GCP and Azure) and Docker
- Proficient in at least one scripting language (e.g. Ruby, Python, Bash etc)
- Team player with the ability to collaborate effectively across organizations building scalability into every component
- Grit and a strong ownership mentality
- DevOps and on-call mindset
- Preferably 3 to 6+ years of relevant work experience in Linux environments
- Plus: Experience with K8s, Envoy or gRPC
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network isolated services using other languages, such as Java and Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
- Check out our Key Values profile
Flexport believes global trade can move the human race forward. Our mission is to make global trade easier for everyone. To achieve this, we’re building the “Operating System for Global trade” — a combination of modern, internet era technology & data analytics; logistics infrastructure; and supply chain expertise.
Flexport connects ~10k clients and suppliers across >100 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Founded in 2013, we've raised >$1.3B from SoftBank, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and YC. We’re excited to start seriously scaling up after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank’s Vision Fund early this year.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.