Own the infrastructure to support Flexport’s engineering organization
Flexport is in the process of transforming our monolith Ruby service to a polyglot microservice system. We are rapidly growing our engineering organization across multiple time zones and continents. We are planning to expand our infrastructure across multiple regions and clouds over the new few years. As an infrastructure engineer, you will work in a highly collaborative environment to improve the security, availability, scalability, and manageability of our AWS infrastructure.
- Own the vision and roadmap of the architecture of our AWS infrastructure
- Drive towards a fully automated AWS infrastructure to support a rapidly growing engineering organization and global user base
- Provide guidance on the overall Service-Oriented Architecture
- Understand, investigate and triage production issues and bottlenecks, root cause and implement or help teams to implement solutions to eliminate future incidents
- Ensure security and infrastructure standards are being followed
- Drive efficient systems and processes: capacity planning and change management
- Design HA and DR strategies
You should have
- Strong understanding of AWS Well-Architected Framework and cloud design principles
- Extensive knowledge in AWS infrastructure design, automation, and achieving operational excellence
- Extensive hands-on experience with AWS network design and optimization, IAM, and multi-account setup
- Extensive experience with infrastructure as code
- Knowledge of design principles of monitoring and alerting systems
- Experience with complex, enterprise-level architectures.
- Knowledge of SOC 2 Type 2 certification or PCI compliance on AWS
- Proficient in at least one scripting language (e.g. Ruby, Python, Bash, etc)
- Team player with the ability to collaborate effectively across organizations
- Preferably 3 to 6+ years of relevant work experience in Linux environments
- Plus: Experience with K8s, Envoy, gRPC / Google Cloud Platform (GCP) experience, and/or AWS certified solution architect professional
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network isolated services using other languages, such as Java and Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
- Check out our Key Values profile
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.