Build the Customs solution driving Flexport’s business
Flexport's mission is to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Paying duties and getting permission to move goods across borders is a major part of the logistics puzzle. Our customs platform ensure customers pay the right amount of duties and that their goods move frictionless across borders all over the world. We are building a product supporting the timely and highly accurate exchange of information with customs authorities all over the globe. It's incredibly impactful and if done right, can save companies millions of dollars and clear their goods faster for sale.
We're looking for an engineering manager to lead the effort of growing our global customs platform with the goal of automating customs, one of Flexport’s essential initiatives. Our mission is to make one of the hardest parts of trade — customs — fast, easy, and unrivaled in its accuracy. As an engineering manager, you will play a key part in solving some of the toughest challenges in the industry.
- Support a group of product-focused engineers and help them grow their careers.
- Work closely with product management, design, data and business partners to develop a product strategy and technical roadmap to make Flexport’s US customs offerings the best in the market.
- Help develop our engineering culture here at Flexport and contribute to cross team initiatives.
- Expertly design and own technical solutions for broad or complex requirements with insightful, strategic approaches.
- Share accountability for technical decisions on the team and within the trade services area in general.
- Describe, analyze, and convinces others about major technical tradeoffs and decisions.
- Be part of a close-knit engineering team that ships new code every day.
You should have:
- 2+ years of experience supporting engineering teams of 7 or more.
- A desire to support highly skilled engineers using a values based approach
- Ability to set technical vision for larger projects.
- Ability to coordinate technical work spanning multiple engineering teams.
- Next-level analytical problem-solving talent.
- Experience in a fast-paced work environment & a bias for action..
- A product-first approach to building software. You care about the real-world functionality and business impact of your work..
- React, GraphQL, Rails, Clojure on AWS and Postgres. We’re a global engineering organization deploying code continuously 24/7
Engineering Culture and Values:
- Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.