Help build the foundation to transform global trade.
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B from investors that include SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator.
With offices on three continents, our team is as global and diverse as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members. Flexport's mission is to make global trade easier for everyone. This means solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion-dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
The Data and Analytics team at Flexport is looking for a highly quantitative, passionate, experienced and creative data engineering manager to lead, grow and mentor the Data Engineering team. The Data Engineering team ensures accurate and timely capture and aggregation of customer and product data for downstream analysis, reporting and the implementation of machine learning models.
- Mentor and hire a team of brilliant Data and Infrastructure Engineers who are team players and thrive on delivering high impact technical solutions that have massive impact on our business.
- Analyze our existing implementation and revise, design and deliver the next generation data warehouse and storage architecture. Lead technical decisions on the team and functional area.
- Help build scalable programs that standardize information flow and increase operational capacity. Monitor system performance and preemptively identify systems or pipelines that won’t scale.
- Implement and drive Data Governance processes across the organization. Ensure that policies and procedures align with corporate vision.
- Work with Business, Product and Engineering partners in a consultative mindset. Analyze and revise current business practices, processes and procedures related to data and analytics. Implement and monitor processes for business driven prioritization and delivery of incoming requests.
- Advise business leaders by providing data-based strategic direction to identify and address business issues and opportunities.
- Cooperate closely with the Data Science / Machine Learning and Analytics teams to provide data required for developing, operationalizing, monitoring and evaluating predictive models, dashboards and reports for customer facing applications and internal use.
- Our pipelines are built using Python and SQL, scheduled in Apache Airflow. Our near Real-Time Data Warehouse in currently Postgres and our Data Lake is in Redshift. All of our infrastructure is based on AWS.
You should have:
- Bachelor's in Computer Science or other highly technical discipline
- 7+ years of business intelligence and data warehouse experience (mastery of SQL, Data Warehousing, Python and experience with Big Data, stream processing and the AWS environment required)
- 3+ years experience leading multiple concurrent projects and driving initiatives in a multi-functional environment and managing people and teams in Data Engineering
- Experience gathering and exploring data from multiple sources using a scripting language (Python preferred)
- A proven track record of using quantitative analysis to impact key business or product decisions
- Solid grasp of and experience with implementing and operating Software development methodologies (Agile, Kanban)
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.