Build the programs to help Flexport grow
Flexport's mission is to make global trade easier for everyone. This means solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion-dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged. We're looking for makers who love learning, who are passionate about collaborating, and who want to see the powerful impact of the solutions we're building.
Flexport.org is a critical part of the Flexport mission. We believe that technology should help solve humanity’s most pressing challenges. Given our unique platform and services, and our position in the freight forwarding industry, we have an unparalleled opportunity and responsibility to help others around the globe.
In this role, you will be part of the founding engineering team for Flexport.org. This team will build products that leverage Flexport’s platform to make a real-world impact, such as reducing global carbon emissions, empowering nonprofits to deliver aid effectively and product donation matching. If you are passionate about using technology and data systems to realize humanitarian and environmental missions, you’ve found your home. Come prove software engineers can save the world one line of code at a time.
- Be an entrepreneur whose metrics are to create social good.
- Build full stack products that power Flexport.org initiatives.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Geek out about shipping and logistics.
You should have:
- 4+ years of experience writing full-stack software.
- Knowledge of Web technology stack.
- Communication experience including communicating to business audiences.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Travis CI and Github. On the frontend, we use React for the views, organize the data flow with Flux architecture, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we're a Rails shop riding on AWS and Postgres RDS. Our staging server infrastructure is written in Python.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.