Define our illustration style and voice
The Flexport design team creates the end-to-end user experiences for our clients, their suppliers, and our service partners (Airlines, Ocean Carriers, Trucking Companies). As Flexport’s first illustrator, you’ll have the unique opportunity to define and grow a style and framework for all of Flexport’s web and mobile products. Your approach will be highly collaborative as you work with product designers to understand their needs and craft high quality imagery aligned with Flexport’s brand voice and visual identity. Your solutions must be systems-oriented, taking into account the entire Flexport ecosystem, and thousands of users across the globe.
Flexport’s mission is to make global trade easier for everyone. We believe illustration is a powerful tool that can communicate complex concepts and delight our users. We’re a global company with diverse users; our visual language should consider and be inclusive of all backgrounds and beliefs. Our brand has evolved and we’d love to find an experienced illustrator to help bring our brand voice into our products.
- Identify appropriate tone, detail, audience and style through creative briefs and team collaboration sessions.
- Produce illustration and iconography that speaks to the Flexport brand while meeting client and user needs and deadlines.
- Create an illustration language that scales well globally, and is inclusive to different cultures
- Move between creating rough sketches to high-quality drawings to communicate your solutions. Use user research and data to inform your decisions.
- Present cross-functionally to stakeholders from Product Design, Engineering, Product, and Brand, seeking approval at all stages of development.
- Understand and incorporate Flexport’s design system guidelines in your work.
- Thoroughly organize and document assets. Contribute to the development of our style and usage guidance.
- Inspire the entire team and our internal partners by bringing new ideas to the table and evolving our product imagery.
You should have:
- 3+ years professional illustration experience.
- Excellence in visual design craft and creativity.
- Experience crafting illustrations for web and mobile products as well as understanding various product platforms (iOS, Android, Desktop, Mobile Web etc) and product design needs.
- Highly proficient with modern visual tools (Sketch, Illustrator, etc.) with knowledge of how to hand off assets for production.
- Excellent presentation, communication and documentation skills.
Bonus points if you:
- Have worked with or built an illustration library
- Have designed and built an icon set
- Have experience with animation
- Geek out over the possibilities of SVG and progressive enhancement in iconography
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Listen to Ryan, our CEO explain what freight forwarding is and why improving global trade can help to connect the world and break down economic barriers in this Fast Company Freethink Original Series video.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.