Build the platform that powers global trade
In this role, you will report to the Vice President, Product Management and lead two high-performing teams: Marketplace and Finance. The Marketplace product team is focused directly on our customers’ highest priority, low and transparent pricing. This team is working with our Demand and Supply organizations to build an intelligent pricing platform for our managed marketplace. The marketplace aggregates supply from Ocean, Air, Trucking, and Rail Carriers, and prices the supply for world trade lanes to create innovative service offerings. The Finance product team is responsible for ensuring pricing is a competitive strategic lever for Flexport and financially sound through strong controls. The financial accuracy and transparency of this offering is disruptive to an opaque industry. Strong internal visibility to revenues and costs allows us to return savings to customers, sustaining our record industry growth.
This opportunity allows you to drive a vision of automated, intelligent and transparent pricing. You bring strong business thinking and curiosity to a complex domain and strive to make the most intelligent systems in our industry. You are excited and driven by continuously optimizing complex problems in a measured way. You are incredibly well-versed at driving alignment across a complex landscape with data and facts, yet open to learn from and teach industry veterans. You inspire industry veterans to think about what technology can do for the industry each and every day.
- Manage the business metrics for Flexport freight offerings, developing our pricing technology and scaling its competitive advantages
- Develop a customer-first product vision, strategy and roadmap for our Marketplace and Finance teams
- Become a domain expert, deeply understanding Flexport’s systems and the trade landscape to solve real problems with technology
- Partner with business operations to ensure strong collaboration, security, and scalability
- Recruit, develop and motivate a diverse set of Product Managers creating a world class product group
- Build a strong product culture within your group
- Leverage data to develop meaningful business objectives and metrics to measure your team’s progress
- Inspire and lead cross functional teams of Product Managers, Designers, Data Analysts, Engineers and domain experts to implement, rollout and measure meaningful platform features
- Continuously improve Flexport’s product processes
You should have:
- 5+ years experience managing teams of Product Managers and large cross functional product groups
- 10+ years experience as a Product Manager, in a mix of large, complex orgs and in startup environments and be self-directed.
- Experience leading product teams for operationally complex marketplace businesses.
- Strong ability to manage a complex set of stakeholders
- Crystal clear communication and presentation skills, with a bias toward over-communication and inclusivity
- Demonstrated focus on managing and prioritizing business metrics, not just feature releases.
- Experience crafting long-term vision and quarterly roadmaps from market insights and customer research
- Ability to manage a highly complex set of products in a complex domain
- Credibility to align multiple product teams and business teams on long running company wide initiatives
- Business acumen with curiosity to learn and become an expert on a complex product
- Proven experience transforming independent products into a cohesive platform
- Deep understanding of the software development lifecycle
- Experience scaling in hyper growth mode
- Bonus: You have worked in logistics or a SaaS Mid-Market / Enterprise Product
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.