Technology is reshaping the way we learn, study, and work, and Flatiron School is proud to be at the forefront of this change. Our mission is to empower students from all walks of life to start new careers in coding, data science, UX/UI design, and cyber security. Ranked the #1 coding bootcamp by Course Report, we are a leading authority on coding bootcamps around the world.
Flatiron School is looking for an Engineer Manager to join our team to help us continue to enhance the platforms & products we use to create an incredible student journey through our dynamic programs.
Engineering at Flatiron School:
Engineering owns the technology used to support our excellent student experience, service critical business functions, and run the school. To support our growth, we are re-architecturing the core of our Learning and School Management platforms.
We have a unique team of former graduates and teachers who understand the impact of what we do. We have a learning culture, and we are looking for senior engineers who are generous with their time and passionate about working with and developing others through mentoring and coaching.
Who You Are:
- You are curious, empathetic and want to use and grow your skills to make a deep impact on the lives of our students
- You have strong communication skills and a desire to be involved in all aspects of the product life-cycle are a must
- You have experience designing and/or building resilient, scalable, eventually-consistent Information Systems using event-driven architecture
- You enjoy working collaboratively across teams and functions such as product and design.
- You have an affinity for knowledge sharing and mentorship
- Our stack features Ruby, Rails, React, Elixir/Phoenix. You have experience with these technologies or are excited about learning them!
- Guide the technical direction and priorities of multiple squads, ensuring long-term technical health and team engagement.
- Partner with product managers and designers on a regular basis to drive data-driven engineering and product decisions and set and track towards quarterly objectives.
- Hire, develop, and retain high-performing engineers.
- Mentor and coach software engineers through 1:1s and performance evaluations.
- Drive feature development end-to-end and deliver large initiatives at a quarterly level. Take on important engineering, scaling and performance issues.
- Guide the team through planning and execution of product initiatives.
- Ensure alignment between execution of short-term initiatives and overall quarterly objectives.
- Contribute to department-wide technical and cultural initiatives, making an impact on the overall health of the organization and our products.
- Experience building and leading software engineering teams (hiring, handling promotions, onboarding/off-boarding, team-building, and processes).
- Several years of very recent and hands-on programming experience in a professional software development shop.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills along with excellent written and interpersonal skills.