With well-designed products and honest conversations at its core, Flamingo launched in 2018 with a suite of products for body hair. Since then, we have expanded our assortment to be the first brand that offers products for every routine: razors, wax strips for face and body, shave gel, body lotion, and Mons Mist. In February 2019, Flamingo launched at Target stores nationwide, immediately jumping to the top of the bestseller list for razors, wax strips, and shave gel. Our products and campaigns have been covered by outlets like Vogue, Vanity Fair, Elle, and InStyle, and we’ve won major beauty accolades like Allure’s Best in Beauty and Self’s Healthy Beauty awards.
We’re committed to building healthy, positive relationships with our bodies and de-stigmatizing the conversation around women's health. Since launch, we have set aside 1% of all sales to support partners whose missions we believe in deeply, including Exhale to Inhale and PERIOD.
About the Team
The Copy Lead is responsible for creating or editing short and long form content in the voice of the brand. This role will be a thought partner to the Creative Director and Marketing team to help bring the Flamingo voice to life across all channels and concept industry leading campaigns. We are looking for someone who is eager to help build and create. They will approach each task, small or large, with the same attention to detail and enthusiasm. We are looking for an inspiring leader, who loves to multitask and is motivated by leading cross-functional projects and coaching and mentoring a junior copywriter.
Who are we looking for?
A customer centric, left and right brain creative who carefully balances systemic thinking and gut-led, creative thinking to powerful brand narratives. A people driven team player. They should be able to lead and mentor a junior copywriter, as well as build successful relationships cross functionally. This motivation is crucial to the growth opportunities in this role.
About the Role
This person will need to be first and foremost a wordsmith with a great ability to write in a conversational yet trustworthy way. We are looking for:
- The ability to lead brand narratives.
- The ability to think about naming systems and brand architecture.
- A true thought partner and conceptual thinker. A big idea person!
- Someone who roots their work in customer insights.
- Someone who is passionate about the body care and wellness space, understands womens’ routines, and is willing to nerd out over product innovation as much as they are on big brand moments.
- A love for iterative and collaborative work.
- A creative mind to push unconventional ideas and articulate them in the brand voice.
- A thoughtful steward of the Flamingo brand voice.
The ideal candidate has talent and experience building strong commercial and narrative work for brands, has worked closely with a brand/marketing team before and is well versed in how an in-house team operates.
Who is this person? What experience do they have so far?
They should have at least 5 years experience writing copy for fast growing start-ups or brands and preferably have experience working across a variety of environments, from editorial to e-commerce to digital product, ideally while owning the brand voice and guidelines. Agency experience is not a must, but experience and comfort within a fast paced environment where you have to present and strategically support your ideas will make this person successful.
They should have experience communicating with different audiences and building a consistent voice for a brand, no matter the channel.
They should be a technically skilled writer able to proof work across the organization; meaning they should know that the semicolon in this sentence is misplaced.
They should be able to communicate cross-functionally with business stakeholders in order to optimize language and copy for various channels. Furthermore, they should be constantly engaging with channel owners to learn how to maximize performance of their work and demonstrating those learnings where and when it’s applicable.
They understand the perspective of their customers, and have a knowledge of what it takes for them to engage with a brand.They will be expected to partake in innovation and product architecture conversations, build copy systems and brainstorm campaign concepts with the creative team . When presenting work to the creative director or to internal and external stakeholders, they should be able to address questions, concerns, and critique in a clear, confident way and be able to pivot quickly based on feedback.
They understand the strategy behind where and when copy lives, and consider this whenever they are writing, they love to nerd out about products, ingredients and wellness in general. Their enthusiasm is contagious.
They are a true editor, meaning their work is informed by the larger cultural forces at play around them. They are expected to bring this breadth and depth of knowledge to work with them, and consider it when storytelling for the company.
Here's who they will work with:
- Reporting to Head of Creative as part of the Flamingo Creative Team
- Working closely with the Flamingo Marketing team and key cross-functional stakeholders
What they will accomplish:
- Develop and implement a cohesive brand voice across all channels, informed by a deep understanding of how conversational tone works, how Flamingo lives uniquely and credibly in the women’s wellness and bodycare landscape, and how to connect with our target consumer and her interests.
- Oversee all copy work on behalf of the brand, and make sure the voice is cohesive across all channels.
- Move from concepting to executing and performing at a high level in all parts of the copywriting process.
- Think strategically about product architecture, packaging language and educational collateral.
- Translate key consumer insights and marketing briefs into compelling advertising brand campaigns by partnering with the CD.
- Work within the Flamingo Creative Team and partner cross-functionally on projects big and small, establishing trust along the way.
- Be very organized and systematic about documents, archiving information, getting feedback, and keeping track of updates.
- Be able to self manage, adjust priorities, and work in parallel on multiple projects.
- Oversee the copy work for paid digital and social channels. Be the last pair of eyes to spell check and voice check.
- Act as true editor, meaning their work is informed by the larger cultural forces at play around them. Bring breadth and depth of knowledge to work with them, and consider it when storytelling for the company.
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.