Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist : Innovation Team
Harbinger Health, a Flagship-founded company, is pioneering early cancer detection. Harbinger aims to detect cancer, at the earliest stages, to save lives. Our platform leverages proprietary biological insights and artificial intelligence to enable high-resolution, molecular views on cancer from blood. We are a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking collaborative, passionate, and dedicated people to join our team.
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category bioplatform companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in more than $200 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.5 billion in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $19 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 42 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (Nasdaq: AXLA), Codiak BioSciences (Nasdaq: CDAK) Denali Therapeutics (Nasdaq: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (Nasdaq: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (Nasdaq: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (Nasdaq: KLDO), Moderna (Nasdaq: MRNA), Omega Therapeutics (Nasdaq: OMGA), Rubius Therapeutics (Nasdaq: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology (Nasdaq: SANA), Seres Therapeutics (Nasdaq: MCRB), and Sigil on Therapeutics (Nasdaq: SGTX).
Harbinger Health is seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist for the Innovation team. This team generates novel technologies to enhance the product portfolio and drive diagnostic technologies forward. The successful candidate will be responsible for evaluating alternative target enrichment platforms (NGS-based and qPCR-based), optimizing assays, and performing clinical validations. He/she must be highly-organized, analytically-minded with a strong commitment to the scientific process, and has a clear understanding of the impact assay development and innovation has on other aspects of a diagnostic process. Experience with NGS assay workflow, various targeted enrichment approaches, as well as various analytical platforms such as ddPCR, for use in rare event detection a must. Because of the start-up nature of Harbinger Health, this role will accelerate exposure to multiple facets of clinical diagnostic field, from nucleic acid preparation to data analysis, and overall bioassay development.
- Plan, design, and execute complex experimental studies and meticulously record results in an electronic laboratory notebook (ELN)
- Perform comprehensive data analysis, write detailed reports, and present summary findings in company meetings
- Analytically troubleshoot to determine critical process parameters and conduct assay optimization to maintain and/or improve high-quality results generation while driving cost and complexity down
- MS or PhD in Biological Sciences, Biomolecular Engineering, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related discipline with 5-8 years of relevant experience in academia or industry laboratory setting focused on commercial diagnostics and assay development
- Solid understanding of genetics with expertise in molecular biology techniques such as nucleic acid purification, quantification, and PCR (standard amplification, qPCR, and/or ddPCR)
- Experience with NGS, specifically library preparation and enrichment techniques
- Experience with additional sequencing chemistries, such as long-read DNA sequencing is a plus.
- Experience with CRISPR-Cas techniques is a plus.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes in workflows and priorities while delivering timely results to meet company goals
- Strong scientific curiosity to innovate by developing, re-engineering or combining existing analytical procedures resulting in improved performance and outcomes relative to specific product applications while retaining the discipline associated with clinical diagnostic technologies and processes
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Proficiency with data analysis software (ie. Prism or JMP) and Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint).
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.