What if… you could tell the story of an organization that conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category bio-platform companies to transform human health and sustainability?
Since its launch in 2000 Flagship Pioneering has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $130 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.5 billion in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $19billion of follow-on investments from other institutions.
Flagship’s Digital Ecosystem
Flagship is driving innovations in how it manages and supports its growing portfolio of companies, including the development of a cross-portfolio Digital and Data team. Flagship believes that the sophisticated use of modern digital and data technologies is a strategic differentiator for companies, with the potential to significantly alter their productivity, market position and long-term success.
The Digital Mission
The Flagship Ecosystem presents a compelling opportunity for impact-focused technology professionals for several reasons:
- Flagship’s companies create medicines that save and improve the lives of patients. Moreover, the companies in the Flagship network have the potential to change disease treatment, healthcare, and sustainable agriculture on a global scale.
- The Flagship network is composed of new and growing companies with widely varying needs that span all aspects of technology, presenting incredible opportunity for learning and development.
- Flagship creates new companies that operate without the burden of legacy systems or technical debt. Individuals that understand the technical opportunities and challenges in company growth will have the opportunity to influence and shape the trajectory of dozens of companies, with broad impact.
To deliver on this mission, Flagship seeks individuals who have a proven track record of solving enterprise-scale challenges while thriving in a dynamic startup culture.
The Senior Director, Business Partnering G & A reports to the VP, Head of Enterprise IT and Operations. This role will lead the enterprise IT for the Flagship business operations functions (Finance, Legal, HR, etc.) in support of Flagship and our early stage portfolio companies.
Context for this role:
Flagship Pioneering is a rapidly maturing and growing firm of ~400 plus staff
- Over the past 2 years, Flagship has recruited top executive leadership for all business functions, including Finance, HR - Talent, Communications, Legal, and Facilities.
- Flagship recently evolved its operating model and created six “Pioneering Business Units” (PBU’s) which combine origination and scientific expertise with functional expertise to drive individual company creation in the context of an overall business unit portfolio.
- The Flagship Digital team is responding to these changes by continuing to invest in a Business Partnering function, with senior IT leader roles aligned around Flagship business functions.
IT Business Partnering for Flagship Pioneering
- Work alongside other Flagship Digital teams to build an enterprise business systems capability to support Flagship Pioneering business functions, e.g., Finance, HR - Talent, Communications, Legal, and Facilities. You will lead the IT business partnering and operations aspects of this capability, and partner with other Flagship Digital teams for capabilities such as IT operations, systems engineering, and project management.
- Establish healthy, productive and credible relationships across all Flagship Pioneering business functions, including function leaders and key stakeholders within their teams.
- Collaborate with business function stakeholders to execute and evolve the existing business systems roadmaps, including master data management, to meet strategic and operational needs of both the function and Flagship Pioneering.
- Partner with leadership to establish practices for planning, budgeting, prioritization, and governance.
- Ramp up quickly and support a current HRIS implementation project (in early phases) as well as other G & A and core IT initiatives in flight in direct support of the G & A space.
- 10+ years experience of hands-on IT and people management, at least 5+ in Biotech – Pharma
- Extensive and hands-on expertise in:
- Business systems requirements, roadmaps, implementation & operations in a Biotech setting – including R&D, G&A, manufacturing & clinical systems
- End user computing systems, i.e., Mac, PC, mobile devices
- Identity management, e.g., Okta
- SAAS applications, e.g., 0365, Zoom, Slack, etc.
- Meeting room technology
- Experience planning, delivery and change management in matrix organization
- Extensive vendor selection and management experience
- Strong strategic and financial planning and management skills
- Experience in cyber security and risk management frameworks
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management and executive collaboration and communication skills
- Friendly, communicative, collaborative approach and style
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Information Systems, or another related field. Master’s degree in Information Services or Business Administration is a plus