At Sonata Therapeutics, a Boston-based Flagship Pioneering company, we are revolutionizing the world’s understanding of the cellular microenvironment and their importance to human biology and disease. Our product-platform creates drugs based on a systematic, comprehensive characterization of the microenvironment in diseases with high unmet medical need. Through our pioneering science, we identify new targets for therapeutics that induce the release of a programmed diversity of signals with the potential for significant patient impact.
Sonata Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an organization dedicated to the origination and development of first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Due to our success, we are currently on the hunt for creative, collaborative, senior-level Cancer Biologists that develop novel cancer therapeutics, working across a matrixed organization, and advance programs from lead optimization, through IND enabling activities, and ultimately clinical Proof-of-Concept.
As a cancer biologist, you will be supporting cancer therapeutic development programs across multiple modalities. You will have deep scientific experience in Oncology, with an emphasis on Immuno-Oncology. You will have a working knowledge of clinical development and experience in indication mining and in developing PD models, biomarker strategies and mechanism of action studies to support the translation of our programs into the clinic.
Sonata Therapeutics offers the challenge and opportunity to work at an early-stage, big concept biotechnology company. Your efforts will directly impact the expansion of our R&D portfolio and existing, early-stage research programs, as well as first-in-human clinical studies within the next 18 months that will lead to the development of new, life-changing, innovative therapies.
You will be making a significant impact by...
- Work across a matrixed environment to advance preclinical drug development programs from target identification/validation through IND enabling activities and clinical proof-of-concept.
- Effectively collaborates with colleagues and participates on project teams as needed.
- Designs and executes the next logical steps in a series of related experiments, troubleshoots, and performs data analysis.
- Learn and improve new techniques/approaches/technologies as the needs during a project evolves
- Guide indication selection and identification of select patient populations.
- Develop innovative preclinical animal models that enable interrogation of mechanisms of action, diagnostic hypotheses, and resistance mechanisms.
- Oversee and analyze MoA studies both internally and at CROs.
- Provide scientific input and biomarker expertise for early oncology and immune-oncology programs. Work with leadership to develop and operationalize biomarker strategies for the programs.
- Contribute to writing documents to support regulatory filings, patent applications, and manuscripts published in peer-reviewed journals.
As an excellent candidate, you will possess:
- A Ph.D. degree in Cancer Biology, Oncology, or related field, with 2 or more years of industry experience.
- Demonstrated mechanistic understanding of disease biology in oncology and immuno-oncology in the context of drug development.
- Working knowledge of other functional areas of drug development, including pharmacology, toxicology and path to clinical development is a must.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience in biomarker development and implementation in early-stage drug development to support pre-clinical and clinical assay development for mechanism of action, proof of biologic activity, patient stratification and response prediction markers in oncology/immuno-oncology is a plus.
- Deep understanding of the role of translational research/medicine and clinical biomarkers in drug development.
- Excellent communication skills across all levels within an organization and external.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence others in a highly-matrixed work environment.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where speed is paramount.
Sonata Therapeutics and Flagship Pioneering are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status.